Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro on a twin engine plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro on a twin engine plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:39 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gyro on a twin engine plane?

Will a twin engine plane benefit from a gyro on the ailerons with an engine out or should it be on the rudder?
Old 02-08-2003, 05:10 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A gyro can help control rapid rotations like the kind you get when hovering. When you have an engine out, you would get a slow constant yaw like what occurs in a normal turn. The gyro can't get rid of that as easily. I doubt if it would help much. If you're going to experiment, I would put it on the rudder.

Tom
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Carlos definately a gyro can be an asset for multi engine but rudder is where it is needed not ailerons. There are two situations where it is an asset the first is during takeoff, it is almost impossible to get even spoolup while opening throttles during takeoff resulting invariably in a wandering track untill rotation. A rudder gyro will smooth that right out.

The second and most important of course is at the loss of an engine. OK many will say just shut the other engine off and land and yes that can work but the whole point here is to be able to fly on one. Most multi's are capable of single engine flight but only if proper actions are taken. When an engine is lost there is an immediate yaw into the inop engine. This yaw will couple into a roll but what must happen is the yaw has to be corrected with rudder not aileron (always rudder into the good engine not aileron). During a climb or just after take off is the most critical place for a engine out and there will be very limited time to identify which engine is out and make the proper rudder correction and this is where a gyro can be a tremendous help because it will be correcting before you even get over the initial shock, even though it may not be able to do the full correction it will give you time to get your act together.

Twins, triples and quads can be a great source of satifaction.

John
Old 02-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JohnBuckner

Thanks for the great info John, I'll be sure to use a gyro on my next twin project. I think that will be the new 83" P-38 from VQ models soon to be distributed by Morris Hobbies.
Carlos
Old 02-11-2003, 03:26 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros

I am just a poor old county boy trying figgger this stuff out. I did do quite a bit of testing with gyros and posted it in the twins forum of this site and techniques in the linked rcwarbirds.com site.
My two cents is that the P-38 really needs the gyro. Now the purists will scream, but why not!!!!!
To answer your question, the P-38 will snap roll faster than you can imagine with an engine out. Yes, there are exceptions, but those are not the rule for the majority of fliers.
I have owned four P-38's and only two are still here.
Yes, they work. They dampen the unexpected yaw to a rate that the pilot who is not actually sitting in the seat can react to the emergency in time to save the plane.
The P-38 has very high wing loading, wide engine spacing, and small rudders.
Please do not make the P-38 your first twin.
Good Luck,
Twinman