Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Want to up-grade to LiPo with regulator

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Want to up-grade to LiPo with regulator

Old 02-17-2007, 03:32 AM
mofosheee
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to up-grade to LiPo with regulator

I am currently flying a CG 67" Yak using a 6V NiCad, MPI miracle switch 6V regulated aircraft power system with 5 (ea) digital Hitec 180 oz/in servos. I am looking to upgrade to LiPo with a regulator. I am intrigued with the Fromeco LiPo set-up with regulator........should I make the jump? What's the right set-up for this configuration? Two batteries and two regulators with independant switches? I know little about LiPo's and have avoided them for various reasons (but damn they are lite and compact) All advice appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to up-grade to LiPo with regulator

stupid question, why? with the regulator you are at the same wight as a standered NIMH batt your going to spnd alot more.. and i dont think the plane is to the poitn were it need to the extra power (this isnt a 40% yak) personnel opion is to leave the lipos out yout asking for troubl by one complicatign your life for no real reaon and also you will need chargers and i hope you plan on taking them out of the plane EVERY teim you charge because we know what happens to lipos when somthing goes wrong (if not take a look at [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5388970/tm.htm]this[/link])
Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Want to up-grade to LiPo with regulator

You really want Lithium Ion, Fromeco and Duralite (my preference) have setups. I have Duralite 4000mah in all my helis and my large Funtana (i had an extra setup laying around) the regulated voltage gives a constant feel from start to finish of the day, plenty of juice, I fly 10+ flights on my 50 3d heli with all digital servos, a governor and a gyro. Charging is safe and simple, plug it in and wait till the green light goes out. The regulators have redundant switches so if the switch fails from vibration you wont be able to turn the reciver off (sure beats the other way!)