Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ONBOARD GLOW DRIVER HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ONBOARD GLOW DRIVER HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ONBOARD GLOW DRIVER HELP

I'm building a HANGER 9 P-40 Warhawk with a OS91FS. I thinking of installing an onboard glow driver and have no idea what manufacture. I'm not looking for the most bells and whistles, but one that is clean and simple to install, but also one thats dead reliable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS Mark
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Newc

Default RE: ONBOARD GLOW DRIVER HELP

Take a look at http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-103/index.shtml Andy Low - who owns ElectroDynamics - is a true RCer, flying everything from electric to turbines and really knows his stuff. I am using two of these units on my 104" WS PBN Nomad.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RamTek available at Tower. I have them on a couple planes. Sure makes it convenient for starting. I have my unit set to shut off at about 3 clicks above idle. So, I open the full throttle and choke. The unit is shut off at full throttle. Then I pull theottle back to idle and flip. Easy.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDZ82&P=ML

You'll have to install a plug for your switch, but that takes about 5 minutes with a soldering iron.

It has a dial thet lets you adjust when the unit shuts off. I always adjust my engine for best performance and then install the glow unit. I am using it on models that have a Cline regulator. The engines are buried inside a cowl and very hard to get a regular glow starter inside the cowl. The combination of a properly adjusted Cline and a reliable on-board glow unit makes your engine just about bulletproof. All ya do is fly. Don't worry about the motor.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:22 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

THANKS for the fast responces. Here again I don't know anything about these or set up. So they are set up off the throttle servo to work only at idle? Just wondering about battery life. I went to both web sites and neither had a downloadable manual.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

D.O.A.F.S. Are you needing info on an on board glow with its own on board battery or just the remote glow that you use your normal glow heater on? Four strokes run fine inverted without an on-board-glow system. The battery is just something else that needs charged.
I use the sullivan brand remote glow and hide the connector and it works fine without a lot of added weight.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBC35&P=0
Fred
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What Fred says is correct, on board is not critical, but nice to have if you have the extra bucks. I have the SuperGlo by MPI, about $45. It can be used manually from a switch on the Tx, or controlled through the throttle so that it comes on at a settable point, usually about 1/4-1/3 throttle, and goes off ,too. The on-board glow lets you start up without having to connect an outside battery source, but you pay a weight penalty of the additional battery on-board. The Warhawk can easily afford the weight.

If you just want the remote plug, it allows you to connect the glow starter at a point away from the engine when it's hard or impossible to get to the glow plug, such as the inverted mounted engine on your P-40. Find an easy to get to spot, but one that doesn't detract from the appearance of the plane, to mount it. That's waht I also like about on-board glow, nothing shows.

Look at www.maxxprod.com for the SuperGlo.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

Onboard system, I need to add weight anyway, and instead of just adding lead I thought I would make life easier at the field.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Hurri

I have my own idea , Use a 1200 mh battery that connects to the plug . the servo for the throttle has a disc type servo arm . it is cut out like a cam & hits a small limit switch when getting to about 1/4 throttle , this then put s the batt; on to drive the plug . I usually have my 4/strokes at 7 oclock position , they can load up sometimes & this is a safeguard . I have a charge jack & an on/off switch for this batt , also after shutting dwn the eng; I give a bit of fwd stick , before swithcing radio off . All so as the batt; is not left on to plug .
Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
LANNYBOB

what does doafs stand for?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

I play ALOT of Ghost Recon and thats my log on name- Dead On Arrival For Sure.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hurri

I have my own idea , Use a 1200 mh battery that connects to the plug . the servo for the throttle has a disc type servo arm . it is cut out like a cam & hits a small limit switch when getting to about 1/4 throttle , this then put s the batt; on to drive the plug . I usually have my 4/strokes at 7 oclock position , they can load up sometimes & this is a safeguard . I have a charge jack & an on/off switch for this batt , also after shutting dwn the eng; I give a bit of fwd stick , before swithcing radio off . All so as the batt; is not left on to plug .

On my Top Flite Spitfire, I use a wheel collar on the throttle linkage. The glow comes on at about 1/4 trim, and goes off at about 1/2 throttle. In the photo, you can see the collar just above the green and white switch, The yellow is a NiMH battery and you can see the glow connector. I haven't yet, but may add a separate on off switch.

For the curious, The velcro at the top holds a LiPo battery which powers a small ducted electric fan (you can see the orange top of the fan behind the battery) to provide cooling for the fully cowled RCV 90SP engine.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67796.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	624640  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Newc

Just wondering about battery life. I went to both web sites and neither had a downloadable manual.
The ElectroDynamics unit comes with a 2000 mAh single cell battery, so I would expect the time between charges to be pretty good, certainly no worse than the Rx battery, allowing you to charge the entire plane at home.

Andy has a display at Toledo every year and gives a bit of a discount there, so he's available for questions then (as well as very willing to answer any questions on the phone) and to purchase what may be the exactly correct unit for your uses. His units have an adjustment to allow setting the driver to be on only at the throttle settings you want, and a small red LED that is mounted wherever you wish which will gibe you a visual indication of when the plug is getting power. Note the lights on the photo. The two front most battery charge ports in the access area are for the drivers.

By the way, I don't have my units because they are necessarily 'needed', but with a twin set up that will be flying off and over water (can't easily walk out to the plane after a dead stick!) and since I needed a bit of nose weight I opted for the belt and suspenders approach of using glow drivers on inverted YS engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92799.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	625660