Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

need info on a Sig Kadet trainer

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

need info on a Sig Kadet trainer

Old 02-10-2003, 02:27 AM
fastgrafix2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on a Sig Kadet trainer

I need to find a flight manul for the 1980 Sig Kadet. just about any info i can get. I just got this prebuilt plane for 150.00 with radio. Radio didnt match the servos in the plane, so i guess i will trade them off. I guess thats the est. of year it was made. the building indtructions said 1979, yeah its pretty old, LHS agreed to the aprox. age. It is In like perfect shape. Thinking about recovering, not sure, dont like the yellow thinking of a new paint scem, i am new to RC. LHS FIRED IT UP AND BELEIVE IT OR NOT STILL RUNS. The radio was an old MCR series 775, which didnt match the servos in the plane plus the radio being out dated, not to mention something with the sigal and the fcc. against the law now, now i need a new radio, servos in the plane were from futaba. the plane is a trainer, witch i need to start. i never thought about this hobby till i seen this plane. Any help?
I am thinking if this goes the way i want it to and I enjoy it as much as i think, i might start a flying club.... for older planes only.....lol Hay if the kids like it too, never know. troble is...
if i spend the 150 buck for the new radio, i might not like it,
like i think i will then i will be out the money, sorta
any way i am trying and saving for the radio, took me a while to get the plane. any clues, help? dont forget the manuels even a good flight trainer for my pc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54105_27443.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	33590  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:29 AM
fastgrafix2

Default this is the radio

this is the radio with servo's MCR series 775

Name:	54108_27443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	33591  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:31 AM
fastgrafix2

Default just a few pics

just a few pics of this ol'timer
like 23 years old

Name:	54109_27443.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	33592  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:32 AM
fastgrafix2

Default just one more

here you go. last one promise

Name:	54110_27443.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	33593  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:54 AM
holyowned

Fast, if you spend the $150 for a 4 channel setup, and do decide you don't like it, you can always sell the stuff; maybe not at the investment price, but you wouldn't lose much. I STRONGLY!!!!!!!! recommend you find an established field and an instructor to learn. I used Great Planes RealFlight sim to train on. Worth every penny. There are other sims out there, if you do a search here you can find the good and bad points of all of them, I think. Have fun!
Old 02-10-2003, 03:04 AM
fastgrafix2

Default I Agree But

This is true if i put out the money, i could sell it, but i already got out close to 150.00 in the starter, battery,charger,fuel, so on and so on, not to mention 150.00 for the plane and the radio is out dated,this i didnt know cause like i said i am new to this, so now i am total of 300.00 so far now to add the radio (another 150.00)
total 450.00 tell me where i can see a kadet trainer ( a vintage one at the) for that price even 300.00, when new they come with warentee and new up to date for that, i checked it out, i will never get back what i lost, "IF I DONT LIKE IT"
sorry for the negitivity but just thinking logicaly,

Name:	54133_27443.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	33594  
Old 02-10-2003, 03:07 AM
fastgrafix2

Default Oh Yeah,

[COLOR=blue]Thanks For the info on the Traner software[/C OLOR]

Name:	54134_27443.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	33595  
Old 02-10-2003, 03:17 AM
AR196

Hey there, Mr. Fast.

You can get the construction manual and plan set for your Kadet directly from Sig Manufacturing: www.sigmfg.com.

There really isn't much special to fly a Kadet. However, someone familiar with R/C would be a great help. In that case, it would basicly be have that person check that everything is ariworthy, charge up the radio batteries, if they're still good, fire it up and fly.

In the instruction book there is a section on flying the Kadet. Sig also has a small pamphlet aimed at beginners with lots of useful info.

You will also notice on newer Kadets (except a couple like the Senior and Seniorita) that the tail fin and rudder are swept back. So that gives us anindication of you plane's age.

The radio with the MRC logo is definitely vintage too. The snag you may have with it, aside from dud batteries, is that it may not perform acceptably with the newer narrow band units. You may be disallowed from using it at any flying fields. The best people to bring you up to speed on radio standards and requirements is the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

A quick call to Sig and another to AMA will answer a ton of questions and set you on the right track.

With a little help, you're sure to enjoy your Kadet.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:38 AM
fastgrafix2

Default thanks for the info

I know there is nothing special about the plane Except the age,
LHS said that and we did go over it started it up. kinda didn't think it would but hay it did, the servos inside were from a futaba radio witch i dont have but i thought did work with the radio,
I was wrong, the LHS said the same thing about the MCR radio,
shucks........my luck! so.ok i still had that thought of trying even if i took it out to a farm and tryed it with the MCR radio and servos.... i went home and swithed them
servo's (the battery held a charge) so i bought the gas, battery,starter,etc
went out on the street here to do some testing, :stupid: dummy me,trial and error, NO I DIDN'T WRECK, evrything checked out started it messed with the thing a little but had no real room so i did put it up, how ever i downloaded a trainer for the airplane, right now i forget the name i will post it when i remember or play it next, (soon) hay summer's comming, i want to at least try it.
any way when i was playing with the trainer when i noticed that
on the left lever in the trainer was throttle and rudder, when i tryed mine i guess thats why it was always trying to go because
my right lever was the gas . is the wiring in the thing wrong? i had no instruction to do the set up so considering the sercumstances i did good, havent try again planes are to change the Paint schem get a radio when i can find one cheap enough for me to get, thanks for the info

Name:	54145_27443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	33596  
Old 02-10-2003, 06:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason the throttle on your transmiter is on the right stick is because it is a mode 1 radio which is not nearly as common now as it was at one time which makes getting anyone competant to help you tough indeed. The norm now is mode 11 which is the way your simulator is set up also your transmitter is no longer legal to use and may possibly be on a channel that no longer exist and now licensed to commercial industrial users (the FCC takes a dim view of this). Additionally it very unlikely that it has buddy box capability.

Now take a deep breath sit back and take stock. First of all you have the grand daddy of the trainer that has solo'd more RC pilots in the history of RC and the whole lineage of Kadets's all of them are about the best trainer possible.

Next from the pictures is looks as though your engine may be a K&B .61 with an after market muffler, although this is a very tough call from the pic. These are fine engines easy to run and your over over one hurdle in that you already are over that.

And last you now have much of your own ground support equipment.

Now comes the dramatics if you go it alone. Its a ninety nine percent probabilty that your first flight will last about thirty seconds usually with a liftoff followed by a rollover to the left at about thirty feet to a near vertical full throttle dive to the ground. Now you will be left with a pile of sticks an engine that may or may not be useful agine and some ground support equipment and a vintage transmitter that actually did have some value to a collector (a growing activity by the way). This thirty second flight will have been at the cost you have invested, I think you said 300 dollars.

However this does not have to be the case. Two simple acts right now will almost insure your future success. First and foremost find a club and a mentor. There are people who are knowledgeable that want to help everywhere. Living in the remote areas of the US is no excuse. Have that mentor inspect the airplane and take his advise from there. The next act will be to buy a new radio. superb full sets can be had around 130 bucks and this will replace everything servos batterys etc. (those orginal batterys in the MRC I can assure you are just waiting to destroy the airplane). Hopefully your mentor is the instructor (which you will need, A computer can in no way substitute for him) and his advice as to the type radio to get should be heeded.

So what it all boils down to is do you want to pay 300 for a thirty second flight or spend maybe a hundred thirty more, get help and be rewarded with a lifetime passion that it is, to most folks here?

I apologize if all that sounds a little harsh this type of thing is seen by most of us here almost on a daily basis and its hurts to know most of these folks will never share the joy.

I wish you the best
John
Old 02-10-2003, 07:37 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me echo what John said. Spend the money for a new radio, find an instructor and ENJOY!

Myself, I am self taught. My routine was: go fly, rebuild plane, go fly, rebuild plane. Did that for 3 years. Took about 10 flight/repair cycles before I could fly with out a crash. (1975)

It wasn't until I joined a club 4 years later that I really learned to fly. 6 months later I was doing inverted passes 2ft off the ground with NO crashes.

I also have a Kadet Mk1. First built it in 1980. Rebuilt it once due to a mid-air. Stopped flying in 1985. Then it sat in the attic for 17 years.

Last October brought the old bird out of storage to be used to get me back into flying. Bit of repair and new covering and radio updating and it is flying once again!

This time I used Realflight G2 to get my skills back, and am once again tearing up the skys!

Evev got my Midwest Strikemaster finished after 15 years. O.S. 61fsr and tuned pipe! Now that is a rocketship! (110mph+)

And I still fly the Kadet!

Later!
Old 02-15-2003, 12:56 AM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

hi i have a kadet just like yours except covered different and i have had it for over 10 years and i tell you. you will not be sorry i fly all kinds of planes but the kadet is one that you can pull up the lawn chair and relax with and fly backwards in a good wind / you will need to get help learning to fly but with the kadet you will learn fast / buy a good 4 channel raido and have a blast/ check with your local hobby shop to see where the flying club is in your area and check with some of the members and they might be able to set you up a little cheaper