Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel-proofing decals

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel-proofing decals

Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel-proofing decals

I'm building my first RC plane, a kit Kadet Senior, and will be covering it pretty soon. Question 1: As part of my finish, I'd like to apply some non-RC vinyl decals that are not "fuel-proof". Is there anything that I can coat them with to make them endure the glow fuel residue over time and not peel off prematurely? I've heard that painting Balsarite around the edges might help. Question 2: What is the best treatment for fuel-proofing the firewall/cowling area? I've got some Sig Supercoat butyrate dope and am considering brushing on a couple of coats of it. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel-proofing decals

When it comes to decals if it isnt fuel proff I dont use em. I did use vinyl letters once sealed the edges with clear finger nail polish worked ok.
If your sealing wood that doesnt show I use 50/50 mix epoxy and rubbing alcohol and paint it on. if you want a color to it then i guess dope is it.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ould also paint the wood (im assuming somplace like the firwall..) with any kind of paint you want and then later come back with the epoxy/alchole fuel proffing paint and paint right over the colocerd wood.. should work fine
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Use clear nail polish. It dries hard as a rock and is almost invisible when dried. It will keep the decal safe from fuel and exhaust residue.

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Tee Bee

Should I use the nail polish just around the edges or over the whole decal? I'm applying some large Harley-Davidson bar and shield logos over a black and transparent orange Monokote scheme.

Thanks for the tips on epoxy thinned w/rubbing alcohol.

Moderator, thanks for moving this thread. I'm new here.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If the material that the graphic is made from is fuel proof then you can just seal the edge. Vinyl graphics are fuel proof but fuel and exhaust residue can seep under the edge of the graphic and cause it to lift, so you just need to seal down the edge. But if the graphic isn't fuel proof (such as paper) then you will want to paint the nail polish over the entire graphic. If you're not sure it's better to just do the whole thing.

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Tee Bee

Thanks a lot!