Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need objective comments on radio gear

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need objective comments on radio gear

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
SportCrystals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need objective comments on radio gear

The following was also posted in the 1:8 scale buggy forum for drivers to reply to.

Just seeing what the 'masses' will say about crystal radios in general. As many of you know, I started Performance Devices about five years ago. Crystal sales at that time was insane. Business is still pretty good (Especially with our International crystals), but we are seeing a bit of a decline in demand due to the Nomadio's of the world on the market. In my visits to various hobby shops and looking at on-line radio pricing, crystal-less radios are a pretty decent deal! The dealers seemed mixed also, as many state that a lot of drivers are going back to crystal radios, but they still push non-crystal radios. This is coupled with dealers also stating that they get a LOT of new customers that bought crystal radios really cheap from drivers (and some flyers) that have gone to sythesized, thus creating more demand for crystals.

For the flyers:

50 times more reistance from flyers to switch to a non-crystal radio Vs the drivers (From most feedback I get), especially with the chopper pilots that have a LOT to risk, so I need to understand what the flying community in general thinks: Stay with a crystal radio or go with synthesized radios?

So here I am sitting on a decent amount of crystal inventory wondering if I'll be in business in two years! Your feedback would be most appreciated, especially from users outside the USA, as the new-age gear may be much more expensive there.

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Old 03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Need objective comments on radio gear

Hi Pete,
I currently fly with a Futaba 9CHP radio. I fly both helis and fixed wing. Last year I put a synthesized module in my Tx. I have one heli with a synthesized receiver.
The rest of my receivers still have crystals. I do intend to make the switch to 2.4 GHz. in a couple of years. I want to wait and see how they perform before I make the switch, as it is going to very expensive to convert a 20 aircraft fleet.
Doug
Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I'm moving to the new system now and have returned all my crystals back for a refund. Dennis
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
carrellh

I plan to stick with 72 mhz, with crystals, as long as possible. Between my brother and I, we currently have a dozen flyable planes and some under construction. We probably have a half dozen receivers in the drawer, waiting on planes.

Until FCC says we cannot use 72 mhz, we are not trashing perfectly good receivers and investing in new ones. Some people will do that, but I think many of us will hold out until we're forced to make the change.