Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote matching paints

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote matching paints

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
alfie43
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote matching paints

I don’t want to fuel the Monokote vs Ultracote debate, but the iron-on covering that I prefer is Ultracote (Oracover). My problem is that there doesn’t seem to be aerosol matching paints available other than the 3 colors that Horizon currently offers. Chevron Perfect Paint is out of business. The Nelson Co is up for sale, and besides, they don’t make UC matching paints available in aerosol cans.
Question: Does anyone know of other sources or companies making aerosol paints that color match Ultracote and Oracover..
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultracote matching paints

You can check out http://www.radiosouthrc.com They do stock and sell smaller quantities of PPG Acrylic Enamel and supplies, they have Monocote and Ultracote color matches. They offer these paints in a "Prevail Spray System" that is supposed to be something like a spray can. From the looks of their picture, it appears to maybe be a pump spray system, but I can't tell.

I just re-covered a lanier biplane and used their monocote color match paints for my cowl and wheel pants... its an exact match.

These paints are 2-part acrylics... tough a nails, easy to apply. I would recommend getting an airbrush system if you want a nice look. Even the spray paint cans tend to leave a lot of overspray and the paint will run VERY easily. There are inexpensive airbrush sets at the local hobby stores (Michaels, etc..) that use an aerosol container for air pressure, so no need for a compressor.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
alfie43

Thanks reyn3545.
Yes, I do have a compressor and professional spray equipment including several guns and air brushes that I use when finishing serious scale projects. But for my less serious fun projects, I find it easier, more convenient and faster to shoot with an aerosol can than dealing with all the mixing and cleaning. Maybe I'll have to get out the airbrush after all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72439.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	637115  
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alfie, I'm with you on the covering, but the paint match is the only big problem with the Ultra covering. Last week when I was buying the red Ultra I found only one red paint/covering match and one for the yellow. I have gone to auto paint stores and some of them will do A custom match and put it in shaker cans for you. Not the cheapest way to do it but so far the only way I have found to get A good match job.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the web, and I have gotten Ultracoat paint and covering from them, Quantum models is showing all the matching colors. 7.59 a can.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Flying freak

most of the ultracote colors can also be found here - http://www.greathobbies.com/
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a problem a few weeks back getting paint from our great neighbors to the north. Was a customs issue, took forever to get 2 cans, not sure why though. Must have had 20 inspection stamps on the package.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Alfie was looking at your P-51, beautiful bird. A question though, why is the tail wheel so far forward.

Flyboy76
Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
alfie43

Flyboy,
The tail wheel is retractable and the location is scale. Note the tail wheel in the attached photo of a full size '51 on take-off. The reason mine might have looked not quite right may be because my main gear was about an inch too tall in that photo and that made the on-the-runway attitude look a little odd. I later readjusted them.
My Cripes-a-Mighty P-51 was built for scale competition. However, the outline of the cowl area is not accurate and the judges would "gig" me on that. Otherwise, it's pretty close in color, markings and the rest of the outline. It did manage a 2nd place in Military Scale at Toledo. Thanks for the compliment.
Alfie

Name:	Kh17795.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	638237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33196.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	638238  
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the spray paint method, very disapointed with the results, so I sprung for a decent dual action airbrush and mini-compressor. Got the paints from Radio South, below is the finished product. These pics are from my cell phone, so the quality is not perfect, but the color match is..

Yep, its a little extra work to mix and clean up, but I'm very happy with the finished product... from priming to color and clearcoat... probably about 3 hours work for the cowl and wheelpants.

Name:	Ge95366.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	638720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38138.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	638721