Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smoke system 2nd battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoke system 2nd battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
impalas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke system 2nd battery

I plan to install a TME smoke system in my KMP spitfire. This is my first attempt at smoke. I'm running a 1100 ma 6 volt battery
to handle the flight pack. I want to run a 4.8 500MA for the smoke system. The question is, can I hook both batteries through a y harness and be able to charge them through one switch or should I put a second switch in for the smoke. and charge that seperately??

Again this is my first smoke system--impalas
Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoke system 2nd battery

Separate the two battery's electronics. Do not "Ywe" them. Your smoke system will work for quite a while on a 300 mAh nimh, which is small and light.

Simply unplug the smoke battery to charge it. The gear switch on your transmitter acts as the basic on and off switch. Just unplug the smoke battery when you don't intend to use it.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, you can't charge a 4 and 5 cell pack at the same time anyway
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

my only concern would be the voltage......

I am not as familiar with that pump, but some pumps are pretty weak with that low of voltage......

I run mine with a 2 cell 800mAh LiPo battery
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
impalas

Thanks for the info guys. I think I got it now.... The weight should not be an issue on the spitfire. I will be adding about 1lb up front according to all the specs. i've read. I can fit the smoke pump against and under the firewall. TME states the total weight is about 12 oz. Thanks again ---impalas
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Tired Old Man

The TME unit does just fine at 4.8v. I have one too.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
impalas

Hi silversurfer; I have a 9 Ch. Futaaba and I'm going to use the left slider the operate the smoke? What Ch. are you using on yours? Impalas
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: impalas

I can fit the smoke pump against and under the firewall.
TME's manual recommends against this, as the engine vibration transmitted to the firewall can destroy the magnets in the pump motor. Of course, if you're going to wrap it with foam, or some such, it might be okay. I made a "soft mount" for mine, and screwed it to a rail just above the lower wing saddle on my WACO. It put the pump directly behind the tanks, and about an inch behind the c/g. Of course, the available space and balancing requirements between your plane and mine will probably demand a different solution for you.

My soft mount is a couple of 4-40 screws through a small hardwood beam, and some rubber grommets in the holes on the pump's mounting flange, and a couple more grommets between the beam and flange, I used nylock nuts to fasten the pump in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81537.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	643850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18964.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	643851  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
impalas

Hi Khodges. Thanks for the input. I can get the pump into the fuse, above the wing with a little work. I plan to use Sullivan
isolation "Lord Mounts" for the mounting. We used these on a system provided by sullivan to mount 61 size engines on our pattern planes. They allowed for good isolation. Your setup looks neat and clean. Are you running a Saito???

Thanks again---impalas
Old 03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Tired Old Man

I mount mine similar to Mr. Hodges. The rubber grommets he noted work just fine and would be lighter than the product you noted. A lot cheaper, too. I use the gear swich to activate mine since I have fixed gear.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 AM
impalas

Hi Silversurfer; Went to the LHS and picked up an 8 oz. oval Sullivan tank for the smoke oil. I know its a little small but I'm starting to get limited for space. On the KMP spit I'm able to locate the oil tank just below the 16oz fuel tank supplied with the kit. Although there is a lot of room in the fuse, it's starting to fill up. I'm running the kit supplied retracts with a medium size Robart air flask, flaps and all the others. Smoker should be in this week. I'm running a new Saito 125 - The header wall was thick enough to tap for a 6/32 muffler nipple. If it fails I can silver braze it. I located it approx 1/2 " away from the exhaust port, just at the bend of the header.The oil line from the pump to the header will be approx. 10 inches. I took your advise on pump location and will locate it in the fuse about 2 inches back from wing leading edge saddle.

Thanks again for the help--Impalas