Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

wall wart charger

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wall wart charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wall wart charger

I have a wall wart charger and it has on it 9v at 100mah. How will that do on rx back that is 1500mah?
What I have been doing is running the tx side of my chargers that I got with my radios, on my 1100 and 1500 backs for my rx.( I got that off of the rc clinic page....) I just need more chargers....im Running out and cat charg them all... lol

Thanks for any info
Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wall wart charger

There are just somethings in this hobby that it makes absolutely NO sense trying to save money on. A battery charger is one of those items. Buy yourself a decent charger.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

your 9V wall wart should work OK for the 1500 mAh pack. should take about 15 hours. if possible, check the current through the system while it is charging. this requires a servo extension with one of the wires cut so that you can put an ammeter in series with the circuit. If you don;t have an ammeter, get a friend to help you with this. Just because the wall wart charger says "100mA", doesn't mean it will actuallyput out that much. depending upon how many volts the battery has, this can go up or down from its rated output.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Ok, what you are saying worrys me.
The charger is a 9v charger.
8 cell NiCad and NiMH packs are 9.6 volts.
most RX packs are either 4.8 volts or 6.0 volts.
I would NOT recommend using that charger with your RX packs!

ORIGINAL: tellspin_37

I have a wall wart charger and it has on it 9v at 100mah. How will that do on rx back that is 1500mah?
What I have been doing is running the tx side of my chargers that I got with my radios, on my 1100 and 1500 backs for my rx.( I got that off of the rc clinic page....) I just need more chargers....im Running out and cat charg them all... lol

Thanks for any info
Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 AM
KI8FR

Geistware Take a look at this page.. grate info on it.. but some things are not quite clear.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

Don M. What does not make sense is why you would waste your time by putting a answer like that up on this list... If you would take the time to think you would know that the rx battery is used for more then just the rx.. I said in the question that I am running out of chargers. Not trying to save money on chargering my RX packs..
Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: tellspin_37

Geistware Take a look at this page.. grate info on it.. but some things are not quite clear.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

Don M. What does not make sense is why you would waste your time by putting a answer like that up on this list... If you would take the time to think you would know that the rx battery is used for more then just the rx.. I said in the question that I am running out of chargers. Not trying to save money on chargering my RX packs..

I still stand by my comment.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM
KI8FR

I'm sorry
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Wall wart chargers generally have a large voltage range. One that says "9V 100 mA" can be used to charge 9V batteries. But if the same charger is used to charge 4.8 volt battery, it may charge at 150 mA. Basically the design is a current limited design. If you use the same charger to charge 12 V battery, it may only charge at 50 mA.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
KI8FR

Cool that is the info I was looking for. Thanks.. I will put a metter in line and see what it is putt out..

Paul