Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 09:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

Ok, I've got a question for all of the engine/fuel experts out there. I know that you can't use silicon tubing and such for gasoline fuel on the gassers. But what about using glow fuel in equipment designed for gasoline?? What I am aiming at here is can I use a automotive fuel pump to for glow fuel??? I am getting tired of replacing the glow fuel pumps every season. My pumps are enclosed in my field box and the glow pumps always start leaking fuel into the bottom of my field box. I have two pumps in my box, one for 25% and one for 15%, and would like to get a couple of automotive fuel pumps. I am hoping that they would have better durability than the pumps we get at the LHS.

thanks in advance for any advice on this.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

i've always used car windscreen pumps, the old Skoda ones pump both ways, but can leak. my new one is Peugeot and is a tube and moving ball affair i think by the looks, it wont go backwards but pumps very well, no leaks after two years. Cant say the same for the proper RC brought jobs
Old 02-14-2003, 10:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

The windshield wiper pump may work (I just got one for using with smoke oil), but a fuel pump won't. You can't use gas with glow fuel equip, and you can't use glow fuel with gas equip.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:32 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

Minnflyer,
thanks for the advice. that was the answer about using glow in gas equipment.

god I love this place!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM
MattCurtis

Default RE: Fuel pumps

I have found that My hangar 9 electric fuel pump will not pump fuel that has more oil content than omega or cool power. I thought there was some thing wrong with the lines-maybe a leak but when I got home I hooked it up to a bottle of Omega fuel and it worked but it won't pump fuel with  a lot of castor oil in it. Anyone know where I can buy a pump that will? I would like to find one as I want to run Fox engines and they require fuel with higher oil content. How abouth the Dave Brown six shooter will it pump fuel with more oil in it?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also had countless electric fuel pumps die, break or leak, what junk. Then a handful of years ago Sullivan came out with the Boxxer fuel pump http://www.slimlineproducts.com/pk4/...ew_product=195 . The housing is machined from billet aluminum and the pump itself is the same roller on tubing style as the never leak Six Shooter manual pump. To top it off, rebuild parts are available for it. I pre-ordered one as soon as they were unveiled. Yes, at $65 ($55 discount) they are more expensive than a standard electric fuel pump. But I was going through 2 - 3 Hobbico pumps per year, $15 at the LHS. So in two years the Boxxer paid for itself and it's still going strong after about 5 years of service.

I also use more than one type of fuel at the field but I just move the plumbing line.

Dave
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ken, I use cheap Magnum glow hand crank pumps for gas, no problems there. When I was still building sand dragsters I used a pump called Facet fuel pump. I was running alcohol and nitro with them. They were sold through VW speed shops and didn't cost much, very small too, not much bigger then a electric glow fuel pump.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
YAT-28E

I have used Sonic Tronics fuel pumps for years and worked fine!