Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Waggy999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo question

Ok so im converting my hyper 7 to electric and i need some lipo suggestions, i will be running one pack

Ill be running mamba max esc along with the feigao 540 8xl so i need either 2S or 3S lipo

my instincts would tell me to go with 3S for more run time and power although i think it would weigh more than the 2S

Do lipo's need discharging, if so can you suggest a good charger/discharger in one

and also what is a balancer and will i need one, if so plese suggest one

My buget will be around £175 - about $300

Im a complete newbie to lipo so thats why the questions will seem noobish

Cheers,
Matt

Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lipo question

No, LiPo's do not need discharging. A balancer is a very nice thing to have and will probably extend the useful life of your LiPo's but it is not a necessity. You will need a good charger that will safely charge LiPo's as they require a current limited, constant voltage charger. LiPo's are easily ruined by either an overcharge or by to deep a discharge. Make sure that your ESC cut off is able to be set up for whatever number of cells you wind up using else you will likely ruin your battery on the first long flight. I do not know what is available in your part of the world but if either the Triton or Hobbico Elite chargers are available I can attest that both work well.