Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help for pull pull controls for first timer?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help for pull pull controls for first timer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
s-10promod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for pull pull controls for first timer?

I am building a model that came with no instructions just a few very poor quality photos and I've never done a rudde pull pull system anybody got any pointers?Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help for pull pull controls for first timer?

Hi,
There are a few kits on the market you may want to look at, they are as follows:

Du-BroProducts.com

Greatplanes.com

SullivanProducts.com (recommended)

After using kits for a while I found making my own was simpler and even better.

All you need is a roll of u-control cable and some small diameter copper or brass tubing for the "crimps" about the size of a ball point refill tube.

Slide a crimp onto a cable, thread the cable through the servo arm and back through the crimp, slide the crimp close to the arm to about a half inch and carefully crimp with a pare of side-cutters (twice) and cut off the extra cable.

I usually hook up the rudder first and adjust cable tension at the rudder servo with the final crimps.

There are factory "horns" you can buy for the rudder or you can just use two control surface "control horns" back to back.

You can also install a pull-pull tail wheel at the same time, just hook up the wheel cables from the double ended control arm on the tail wheel to holes "inboard" of the rudder cables at the servo control arms.

Good luck.
Carlos

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help for pull pull controls for first timer?

You should not have any trouble setting up a pull pull-one area you do need to read up on is Ackerman-its basically setting your control horn back about 1/32"-1/16" from the hinge line-ackerman prevents the slack side from tighening and trying to over ride the servo action. Do a search for Ackerman-it sounds more complicated than it is. I use plastic coated SS braided fishing leader and crimps like Carlos explained. Might also add a drop of ca on each crimp after you are sure the setup is correct. Also use the Dubro connectors, its just a threaded rod with hole in one end for the cable. At the rudder you can just run the cable thru the horn or use the adjustable rods and clevis. Pull pull does not have to be guitar string tight, just taunt, that way you put less strain on the servo. Good Luck. Keep asking questions until you are confident-pull pull works great.