Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sheeting Foam Wings question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sheeting Foam Wings question

Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sheeting Foam Wings question

I am going to be building a model with foam wings and was wondering what glue worked the best for sheeting. I have never done this before and would like any inputs. Thanks in advance. Take it easy.

Jason
Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Sheeting Foam Wings question

I've gotten good results with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) for this application. Squeegee out to a very thin layer.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: R8893

I've gotten good results with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) for this application. Squeegee out to a very thin layer.
I'll add to the above comment. Depending on your ambient humidity, you may want to spritz either surface lightly with water. Clamp the wings in the shucks, and weigh them down with at least 40 pounds of weight. This stuff expands as it cures, and can push things around if you aren't careful.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this tutorial before you sheet with either laminating epoxy (which is the traditional choice) or PU glues (the new favorite and also an excellent choice). Also note that there is a Lepages Pro Bond PU glue that is the same stuff as Gorilla glue for about 1/2 the cost. Available at most Home Depot type stores. Terry Brox's wing building page is the best how to I have ever seen on balsa/foam wings and should be required reading before trying it, excellent stuff...

http://www.mackrc.net/patternwings2/index.htm

Mark
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
JRSmith

Thanks for the inputs.

Jason
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use lots of weight. A previous post says to use 40 pounds. I try to get at least 2 pounds per square inch. So a 10 x 40 inch wing would have 400 square inches assuming it is built in one piece. This would need 800 pounds of weight. I have since gone to a vacuum system which will deliver this much pressure without handling all the weights. I use polyurethane glue (gorilla glue or elmers polyurethane wood glue (formerly called Elmers Probond).
Old 03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
JRSmith

DMcQuinn....

Were did you get the vacuum system from? I don't have that much weighting around and was thinking of going that route instead of spending money on the lead shot, weight plates, or a ton of books! Will the vacuum system work conventional wings also? Thanks for the inputs.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

The vacuum "system" is simply a vacuum pump. I bought mine from a neighbor. A new one is usually over $100 but if you can find a used one they can be had for cheap. Then you just need some plastic tubing and a sheet of plastic (like a dropcloth sold at the discount store). Fold the drop cloth in half and seal the other three sides with a sealant (i use either tape or sometimes a cheap caulk). Also, most vacuum pumps have "too much" vacuum, so you need a regulator that goes between the pump and the bag. If too much vacuum, it will crush the wing. There's no using a vacuum pump for built-up balsa wings.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:02 AM
frugalflyer

I have used PU but because of the large weights and long wait have returned to Sorghum.
I first edge glue, with thin CA, the balsa sheet to give the necesary width. Then spread the Sorghum thinly on foam and sheet (useing a 'pretend' credit card) and leave to dry. When both are dry to the touch roll the sheet on while pressing down. Make sure it lines up, because once contact is made - it's stuck. It then ready to be trimmed for LE and TE.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

yeah, pile on the weight. This is were them old phone books (or the complete Thomas Register!!) come in handy! If you can, get some wood (old shelves) on top of the shucks, to help distribute the weight.

Make sure you glue-up surface is flat, otherwise you can induce a twist. Some will induce a twist to get a desired amount of wash-out at the tips.. I perfer not to stack one on top of teh other.. do one at a time..

For the skins, edge glue them with wood glue / white glue. It's a lot easier to sand, and dosne't present a ridge like you'de get with CA. Sand both side of teh sheet prior to applying. I just find it easier to get a good smooth finish before applying the skins. Sand [lightly] the cores too! But remove the dust!!

My first wing, foam core lead to a b-a-a-d experinece.. A freind & I were gluing up the skins onto the cores. We whipped up a lot of epoxy, and slathered it on the cores. We got the cores & skins in the shucks, and all was set. I leaned over to see how it was going, to ensure taht all was alingned. As I leaned over, I placed my head squarely in the epoxy mixing pad. Since I was the weight, and we had obnly about 10 minuts working time, I had to watch the epoxy cure in my hair. The next 2 weeks, i was pulling epoxy out of my hair...