Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

saito 100 starting issue

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

saito 100 starting issue

Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 PM
DucatiRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito 100 starting issue

I'm new to airplane. I bought a sait 100 for my P51 mustang. I'm having problem getting it stated. I have the hi-speed needle with 4 1/2 turns out, I did not touch the low speed. The engine will not start, with the throttle open about 1mm. I notice fuel is running out of the pressure line into the muffler. I do have fuel in line into the carb.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 AM
alan0899

Default RE: saito 100 starting issue

G'day Mate,
If you are new to airplanes, the P51, is NOT a good place to start, you WILL crash, & that will cost you a lot of money, that's if you get the motor started.
Having said that, you must prime the motor, to get fuel into the combustion chamber, or it will never start.
Open throttle all the way, do not connect glow driver, you do have a glow driver of some sort I hope, hold a finger over the carby intake, & turn the prop over, counter clockwise, 4 turns, that will suck fuel into the carb & then into the combustion chamber. Flick the prop over another 4 or 5 times, reduce throttle to a fast idle, connect glow heat, use electric starter, to turn prop, it should start. If fuel is running out the muffler, you may have the lines backwards.
BUT, to save a whole lot of frustration, on your part, go to a club, talk to the members, get HELP.
You will not regret it, in the long run.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 AM
ag4ever

I just broke-in my Saito 100 this week. It started right up with no problems.

The thing does like to be really wet to start. I don't have space to stick my finger over the carb to choke it and get it primed, so I stick my finger over the exhaust exit and then hit the prop with the electric starter for a couple seconds. Once I see fuel dripping out of the carb, I then back the prop up (clockwse) until it hits the compression stroke. I then attach the glow plug driver and then hit the prop again with the electric starter. It has fired right up for me. After 5 tanks (16 oz) I am starting to fine tune the carb adjustment.

This is a really sweet running engine with gobbs of power. I had mine spinning a 14-7 at about 9100 RPM. I still have more tuning to do to find a good safe seed.

The only thing to watch out for is the thing spitting off the prop nut. I have had it undo the prop nut 3 times so far. And when it does it, it will spin the nut completly off the shaft.

***Edit to correct prop size***
Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 AM
DucatiRC

I have an electric Cesna, and a Hangar 9 P51 Mustang PTS as the trainer. This larger scale with the Saito 100 it's when I have more experience.

I did prime the engine, it just won't start. I have no problem starting the H9 Mustang.

Ag4ever, what would be the correct needle setting to get it started?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

4 1/2 turns open is to much, open it 2 turns for starting. Check your plug make sure its good.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
delman

Deleted my double post.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
delman

If it is a new saito, the instructions tell him 4 1/2 turns out to start break in very rich at about 4000 rpm. Idle screw should be flush with the throttle arm.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:13 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Not when you start it, if it's to rich it won't start. You richen the mix after it's running
Old 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

4 1/2 turns open is to much, open it 2 turns for starting. Check your plug make sure its good.

Per the instruction manual, page 4 starting the engine:

"Break-In

4a. For all .30 to .91 engines, ensure that the high speed needle valves (85) is opened (turned counter-clockwise) 2 1/2 turns out. This guarantees a very rich setting.

4b. For all 1.00 to 1.25 engines, ensure that the high speed needle valve (85) is opened (turned counter-clockwise) 5 turns out. This guarantees a very rich setting.

Do not adjust the low-speed needle valve (89) at this time. The low speed needle valve is preadjusted at the factory for initial break-in."

This is all before the section labled "Starting The Engine"

I followed their instructions exactly, and it started right up. It also ran fine without the glow plug driver attached. Starting a new engine at 2 turns out (when it calls for 5 turns out) is asking for a lean burn during the critical piston ring break-in period. Also, 2 turns out might be too lean to even fly with a fully broken-in engine. I think I am at about 2 1/2 turns out, and don't feel comfortable going any leaner until I adjust the low speed needle valve.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 PM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: delman

If it is a new saito, the instructions tell him 4 1/2 turns out to start break in very rich at about 4000 rpm. Idle screw should be flush with the throttle arm.

Not with the new plastic throttle arm. Mine is 3/64" inset from the outside surface as set by the factory, and as it runs today as I have not adjusted it yet.

If you have the metal throttle arm, then the neddle valve screw should be flush with the throttle arm.

Also it says to not go above 4,000 RPM for the first 10 minutes. Any speed under that is fine. I would try for an RPM near 4,000 to increase cylinder pressure and help the rings seat well. I personally feel a couple very short bursts to high RPM will also help seat the rings, but they must be short bursts of speed, and not prolonged running at high RPM.

I have about 60 minutes of run time on mine, and I am just now startng to get a good adjustment on the high/low speed needles.

It has never had a "problem" starting even when very rich and I am using a 12 volt starter that is rated up to .61 size engines. I just need to back the prop up againts the previous compression stroke to help the starter build up momentum before it hits the next compression stroke. My only problem is the prop nut coming loose, it has happened 3 times so far. I am strting w/o a spinner and the starter is grabbing the prop nut primarily, so that is assisting it in loosening though.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Ducatirc.... if you want to wait until next weekend and bring it to the State Reservation at the beach in Salisbury I can help you.... i was just down there watching some guys fly.

There was a Cub flying over the beach doing some wing overs along with a Waco biplane, so if you're interested let me know and if it's nice enough we can meet down there.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
DucatiRC

Tukkus, I would like to but I'm going to be busy. I'll go over to the club in Billerica and see if the guys over there to help. I just crossed thread the glow plugs. Now I can't even screw on the plugs. I'm waiting for the cylinder to come in. I should of bought a RTF but I wanted the Saito engine so bad.

The engine was mounted up-side down, I didn't have it in the right position when installing the plug. This was an expensive lesson. I haven't even start it yet, now I need new cylinder.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:08 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

have you tried to retap the thread? Depending on how many threads are ruined you might be able to bring it back.