Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Finishing Resin

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Finishing Resin

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finishing Resin

I just started glassing the stabs of my YA F18 tonight using Great Planes Finishing Resin. It's been years since I glassed anything and in the past have always used Z-Poxy Finishing Resin. The GP resin seems to be a lot thicker than the Z-Poxy if I am remembering correctly. I used a little bit of alcohol to thin it a little bit but it just doesn't seem to be as user friendly as the Z. Anyone have any similar experiences out there? Am I remembering right? I went with the GP from a cost standpoint - have always had good luck with other GP products, but this just doesn't seem right. Help???

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Finishing Resin

if it is polyester finishing resin alchohol will not work.Styrene Monomer is what is used
Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM
SPLIT S

GP and Z-Poxy are epoxies. I also work with polyesters in auto body, realize alcohol won't work in them. Acetone would be the product of choice there. Anyone have experience with both of the aforementioned products?

Dan
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol.when I used to thin epoxy for finishing we used hoppy poxy thinner but since the closed up denatured alcohol has always worked rubbing alcohol has caused people problems as it is not pure alcohol and contains water which does not mis with epoxy
Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
SPLIT S

Thanks for the reply Aerowoof but I am wondering about the difference ( if any ) between Z-Poxy and Great Planes finishing resin.

Dan
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never tried GP before, always used Z-poxy. To help thin it a bit, I have used a little heat from a covering gun, not a lot, just enough to thin it alittle, but you also loss working time when thats done. I also use a fan to keep from breathing the fumes.