Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Two battery questions.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two battery questions.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Gstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two battery questions.

I bought a basic Futaba controller for a beginner plane two years ago. It has sat in the basement with the plane all that time. The plane is almost done and I’m concerned about the batteries.
Are they still good? I have no chargers or test equipment except the chargers that came with them.
I need to buy a spare set for the transmitter and receiver anyway so if they are no good I will buy two sets if I have to. So what type of batteries should I buy and any good web sites to buy from? Thanks.
I did not see a battery forum so if there is a better place to post this please let me know.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 AM
bbbair

Default RE: Two battery questions.

Unless you have a leak or other physical damage to the battery there should be no real problems with the battery. NiCad batteries live 5-6 years with normal usage in your case there shouldn't be any problems - BUT!!

That having been said, if you are concerned check around at your local club or hobby shop for someone that has a 'Battery Cycler'. This Little Magic Device charges and discharges the battery to gain optimum preformance and lifespan from the batteries. They will tell you when a battery is working well and when it is dieing long before you loose an AC.

IMO they are well worth the cost of purchase and should be standard in everyone's workshop.

Next, why are you planning to buy a second set of batteries?
A normal Transmitter battery will give you well over an hour of operation as will a receiver battery. On a good day a RC pilot will get three or four, 10 -15 minute flights.

Unless you are flying electric AC, you don't really need a second set of batteries.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: bbbair

Next, why are you planning to buy a second set of batteries?
A normal Transmitter battery will give you well over an hour of operation as will a receiver battery. On a good day a RC pilot will get three or four, 10 -15 minute flights.

Unless you are flying electric AC, you don't really need a second set of batteries.

Thanks for the reply. My boy and I will both be flying this plane. Three to four flights in one day might not be enough.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
scratchonly

Have alook at Hangtime hobbies. Reasonable price, better than average battery performance.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
jetmech05

since battery placement is so important to the planes CG make sure you can get the batteries back inside the aircraft where they came from. I recommended you dont just change batteries, instead get a field charger. good luck
Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

since battery placement is so important to the planes CG make sure you can get the batteries back inside the aircraft where they came from. I recommended you dont just change batteries, instead get a field charger. good luck

What type of field charger would you recommend?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The hobbico from tower hobbies works great, and isn't very expensive...It will charge your TX and RX at the same time
Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 PM
bbbair

ORIGINAL: Gstan

Thanks for the reply. My boy and I will both be flying this plane. Three to four flights in one day might not be enough.
Another very good investment would be an 'On Board' battery tester or other means to check your receiver battery at the field. This takes all of the guess work out of how good the battery is and the problems that can occur with, "I thought I could get ...ONE MORE FLIGHT!"
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Gstan

Another very good investment would be an 'On Board' battery tester or other means to check your receiver battery at the field. This takes all of the guess work out of how good the battery is and the problems that can occur with, "I thought I could get ...ONE MORE FLIGHT!"
Could you recommend one?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
bbbair

Could you recommend one?
There is always a 'NEW' model coming out, I bought mine several years ago so I'm not current, BUT Ijust went to the Tower site and found this - Hobbico Voltwatch2 4.8V/6V Rx Battery Monitor - for $10.00.

I don't even install mine on the plane any more I just leave it in my tool box and plug it in as required. Cheap insurance.