Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Low wing planes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Low wing planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:34 PM
GregT882762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low wing planes

Can anyone tell me what the main difference would be in a low wing plane,because im fixing to buy my first,after flying a stik but one i want isnt what people are recommending,so what is differnce like say betwen a hangar 9 pulse xt and a showtime 50 or funtana 50?PLanning on purchasing one of these 3 but not sure which,i know everyone says pulse ,but 20 dollars more i can get one of the others?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Low wing planes

Once you get beyond a basic trainer, where the wing is located is not nearly as important and other aspects of the design.

You say that you are flying a Stik, but you havent said how good you are with it. There is a HUGE difference between flying a Pulse XT or Tiger II or Sig 4* Compared to something like a Funtana or Showtime. These are Expert-Class airplanes and you had better be able to handle ANYTHING before trying one.

Here is what I would recommend. Ask a seasoned veteran that you know which HE thinks you should get. In fact, ask several people who know your experiance level
Old 04-16-2007, 05:40 AM
broke_n_bummin

Right after my Select, I cought the 3D and biplane bug. I thought I could handle it just because I was realy good with the trainer. Not so. I wish I had asked someone first ... oops ... wait a minute, I did. But I opted to give it a try anyways and built a Sig Somethin extra. It's not quite 3D, but it was closer than a trainer. After almost crashing the thing 3 or 4 times, and breaking off the landing gear on a not really too hard landing, I decided to go with a P40. It had some sport characteristics, but still had a flat bottom wing. Someone told me a long time ago that I needed to transition in small steps ... but I've never been much of a small stepper... until the wallet becomes involved.
Just something to think about.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the advice you have already gotten.

The Pulsa XT will be your best bet. It's an excellent flying low wing plane. A friend of mine did the review on it for 3D Flyer magazine and it does all the acro except 3D and it lands nicely.

Other options are a 4*40 or a Tiger 2. Any of these 3 will be a great first low winger.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
GregT882762

so cause im fairly new exactly what do u mean by 3d that the plane wont do?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though you could install enough power to hover, the control surfaces are too small for good low speed control. This applies also to harriers and flip-flop maneuvers like waterfalls.

Actually, there is more to flying 3D than just buying a neat looking plane and putting a big engine in it. You need to know how to use your left hand for rudder and throttle control. 3D planes have extremely large control surfaces. These are prone to flutter, rapidly moving back and forth like a flag in the wind. This can strip gears out of servos and tear the servo shaft off. With metal gear servos, it breaks clevices and control horns or shakes the wing apart. Take one of your choices, the Showtime, rev it to full power and put it in a dive, something the Pulse can do, and you will probably destroy the plane.

You need to learn throttle control-every time the nose goes down, the throttle comes back. And you need to use a low pitch prop-better for climb and also keeping the speed down. But, a low pitch prop can act like a brake on landing, causing the novice flier to let the plane get too slow and stall. The extremely thick airfoils of 3D planes add a lot of lift, but they, also, cause low speed drag. Read the forums on how many people have knocked the gear out of their U-Can-Dos or cracked the fuselage on their Twist. It's not because there is something wrong with the plane, it just slows down very fast when the power is pulled back.

Those long props and big power also mean lots of torque and p-factor when you pull up. A lot of 3D planes have right thrust built in for hovering, but you need to use rudder at other times. They are great airplanes, but built very lightly for performance and they won't take a licking and keep on ticking, as the commercial once said.

Pulse, 4*40 or Tiger 2 or get ready to make repairs. Those of us who have given you advice have too much time flying and seen too many crashed to steer you wrong.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 PM
GregT882762

i appreciate all of the info given my club president is afriad that the thin wing on pulse might create a problem but up to me he said like i said earlier i plan on gettin very good with stik on high rates before even attemtping to fly low winfg whatever i get