Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Professional Builders

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Professional Builders

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
talbert
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Builders

Question for the community. Sometime back in RC when I was actively flying (I'm taking a break right now) I once found this house run hobby shop some place in Texas. It looks like a guy who built and sold immaculate builds. Most we're composite based. I've since then lost the website and lost touch.

It got me thinking though. At my old club there was this old timer who has been in RC for 30+ years. He didn't care much for flying, but boy could he build. Flyers at the field would line up with their money to buy something out of his garage. For those kit/scratch builders out there....you know what I mean. ARF and RTF's while nice and easy can't compare to the finished product of a builder who's passion is to scuplt a masterpiece from each mold.

So I was wondering if anyone has any contacts (more specifically web sites) to any of these "unkown" or hard to find builders/vendors. Tower and other large stores/outlits are great, but I'm looking for those rare beauties that don't come in a kit and are worth driving across the country to pick up.

As I get back in to RC, I'm looking to do fewer plans, but much higher in quality.
Any info is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Professional Builders

We have a guy like that in our club. Next time I see him I'll ask if he has anything he wants to part with
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM
skull1971

Bob Upton was "The Man" in our club, he built some of the best aircraft around, and sold them. Mr. Bob was going to teach me how he did what he did, but I found out last friday that he had a stroke, and has lost some of his mobility. Some of his planes were sold at Larry's Hobbies in Houston, you might be able to find one or two there. As for my good friend Mr. Upton, God Bless, and Best Wishes. Eric DeSardi and family.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We got one too....loves to build...don't know if he would do it for money - then it would be considered a 'job' and he is 'retired'!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
dicknadine

had thought about going into the professional model building and makeing a few extra $$$, however the accountant advised against it, the TAX Man would take ALL of the profit and more. they have spy's all over the place. so I build for myself and its tax free. just advise you to start learning how we build the models and still have time to fly them. there's still just 24 hours a day. dick
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I am considering a couple of 1/3 scale BUSA Fokker D7's this coming winter. Any one interested can pm me.

JEB