Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Field battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Gstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field battery?

I need a field battery for my flight box. This is for my glow plugs, starter, charger etc. Should I get an acid filled motorcycle or a sealed type hobby battery?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
r2champion

Default RE: Field battery?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp1255.html

This battery is a must, can't beat it. It is maintainance free and will last for years, mine has for 6 years.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
mclina

ORIGINAL: r2champion

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp1255.html

This battery is a must, can't beat it. It is maintainance free and will last for years, mine has for 6 years.

The only problem with this battery, is that Tower never has it in stock. I had ordered one in January, and they kept changing the expected delivery date until it was out around May. I called them and changed the order to the 7amp battery, for $7 more. They were nice enough not to re-charge me for shipping, since this had been a backorder from an earlier order on which I already paid shipping.

I initially wanted the 4.5A battery because I have a small field box, but the 7A actually fits better, because I lay it on it's side, and it is thinner in that dimension. All I run with it is my starter, and I probably have 50 starts on it and haven't had to recharge it yet.

Motorcycle batteries are much more expensive.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

They sell those same batteries, for the same price (minus shipping) at radio shack. They are sold as alarm backup batteries. So don't wait on Tower--go get one locally.

Don't get a wet cell battery to keep in your field box--you are asking for trouble. If you want a wet-cell, then get a car battery or lawn-mower battery with a handle and carry it separate from your box. The advantage of bigger batteries is their ability to deliver many more amps to a starter if you are trying to start a large motor.

The disadvantages are obvious.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

All my batteries come from the local Batteries Plus store. if they don't have it, they don't make it.