Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to pick correct Spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to pick correct Spinner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 PM
pnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pick correct Spinner

I am not sure if I am making this more difficult than need be but here goes......

Every spinner I have bought has been plastic thus far and all but one have needed trimming to fit around the prop correctly. I want to get aluminum spinners for two of my planes but have no idea by looking at them online if they will fit, and I have not come accros a "sizing chart". How do I know they will fit before plunking down the $ ?

The two planes I want to buy them for are:

80 size engine on a 60 inch wingspan extra using a master airscrew K series 14 x 6

110 size engine on a 70 inch wingspan edge using a master airscrew K series 16 x 6

Thanks for any insight on this.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to pick correct Spinner

Just about all of the aluminum spinners that are factory "pre-cut" will fit your prop sizes as long as the spinner is proportional in size to the prop. An exampe is that a 3-1/2" spinner would generally fit a 12 to 16" prop just fine but a 2" spinner would generally not. Worst case is you break out a file and add a little sweat to make the openings a bit larger.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find that most props need to have the holes enlarged. There's a simple explaination for this...

Manufacturers design the spinners for the smallest prop that a customer is likely to use. After all, if you have a big prop, you can cut the holes bigger, but if you have a small prop, you can't make the holes smaller.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:57 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

If you buy a Tru Turn spinner you can ask them for the exact cut for any prop. They can tell you exactly what will fit any size prop and if you come up with a prop that won't fit their spinner they will cut one to fit for a few dollars more. They are proud of their spinners but for sure they are about the best. I've found them to be the most helpful also. Never could get anyone on the phone when calling about other comany's spinners.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I've done a lot of business with Tru-Turn and you can't find a bunch of nicer people. They wil send you a spinner cut for the prop and drilled for the engine. If they do it wrong they will replace it free. Not the cheapest but the best. Dennis