Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smart-Fly Equalizer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smart-Fly Equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Rod Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart-Fly Equalizer

Hey Guys,

After hearing of success from a member at our club, I purchased a couple of the Smart-Fly Equalizer II units. I am using this for dual elevator servo application. The instructions are............. not that straight forward. I am usually pretty good at reading manuals or whatever, and able to figure it out.

But after installing this equalizer II for my elevator needs, I experianced servo twitching on ALL channels. Also, just throwing the dual rate switch for the elev changes the neutral positon of the elev. I thought perhaps I had a bad unit, so I tried the other one. Same results. They are located in AZ, and yes, I can call tomorrow, but wondered if anyone here has the know how on these? Ihave the plane on the table, and really wanted to complete this today....maybe not

6v nicad, Futaba 3010 servos, FM

Any and all input appreciated ....................... Greg
Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Rod Bender

Default RE: Smart-Fly Equalizer

I tried a 4.8V but still had the same results.......Greg
Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You should have the equalizer hooked up to the servo you want to reverse.
Make sure you don't have a lot of crossed wires.
If all else fails, make sure that it is the equalizer by just hooking up the unit to an extra (spare) servo.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Rod Bender

Thanks for the comeback,

I tried everything. I called Smart-Fly yesterday, and spoke to the owner\technician (Bob) and he took me through the entire procedure over the phone, and I still had the same results. Bob said he had never heard of this anomally before.

I then took an extra rx I have and ran the equalizer II through that with different servos attached.....same thing. He is sending me 2 new units as of yesterday.

IF this does not work, and I still have this issue with the smart-fly, is there another product out on the market to accomplish this? I am waiting for the JR X9303, and know that will handle the dual elev issue, but for now I am stuck with a 6ch Futaba ...... Greg
Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes the Expander, JR Matchbox and Futaba MX-10 are the same.
THe expander works great and I would go with it.
I assume that if you remove it everything works except teh servo on one side moves backwards.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Rod Bender

Correct,

If I remove the EQ II, everything is fine and calm, only the servo direction issue. I went back to my Y set up for yesterday and flew the plane without incident. I had replaced the stock servo arms with 3D arms, and did not change my radio's % of ATV or DR, WOW, that was a squirrely 1st flight, super sensitive, flew like a completely different plane, but I should have known that.......my bad.... Greg
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Rod Bender

Follow-up:

FYI............... I received the 2 new EQ II's yesterday from Bob at Smart-Fly, and I had the same outcome. I then plugged in 2 Hitec servos that are going into another project, and they worked fine. Something about the Futaba 3010 servo's was not liked by the Smart-Fly EQ II, Bob was already looking for some 3010's so he could reproduce the anomolly. Said he's never had a servo do this on their unit, and wanted to figure out how\why the 3010's were doing this ....... Greg