Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Modeltech Extra 300 Fuel tank questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Modeltech Extra 300 Fuel tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
FBodyexpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Extra 300 Fuel tank questions

So heres the deal...I have a modeltech extra 300 .25-36 which I built and outfitted with an O.S. .40 LA and a Hitech Laser 4. The plane came out absolutely beautiful and CG was on the money with no weights dispite added weight of the .40, which fires up like a champ. And though I still haven't found the time or nerve to maiden her, I have taxied around the parking lot of my shop quite a bit. Well, the other night I went to do the same thing and after tuning up the mixture I had a thought of I wonder how easy she'll hover with a 10x6 on the LA... So I picked her up and tilted the nose skyward. Well, when I did the motor got rough and bogged down dramatically, almost completely cutting out untill I tilted her level again. I tried it a couple more times and the same thing. Since the wing was off, I could clearly see the fuel tank was about a third full and the clunk was free moving and complete submerged. I have the fuel setup as dictated in the instructions. two-line system with a quick-fill valve mounted in-line with the carb. Can anyone help with a diagnois to the problem or an easy solution? My fear is that if I maiden her like this and pitch up too much the motor will die and I'll lose her. I've never flown on the extra platform before but its well known that these planes don't glide particularly well...
Old 05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Modeltech Extra 300 Fuel tank questions

G'day Mate,
It's too lean, richen the mixture, 1/4 turn, & try again, when the mixture is correct, it should pick up some revs, when the nose is pointed up. If it doesn't, or sags, it is too lean.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
FBodyexpert

Default RE: Modeltech Extra 300 Fuel tank questions

idk about that. The window of setting the mixture to get a low but steady idle is very small with this engine, and thats where it was when this happened. If I richen it up, it kills my idle. My thought was I might need to go to a three line system. i'll give it a try though and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the input