Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How Much Do I Ask?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How Much Do I Ask?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Do I Ask?

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but since it is a question I'll post it here. I have built a Top Flite Piper Arrow and I'm interested in selling it. I need the money in order to build the Top Flite Bonanza kit. I want to put retracts on it and keep it for myself. The Arrow came out really nice IMO. I'm not including any radio equipment. I do have an OS .61 engine that I would be willing to let go with the plane. (NEW) How much do I ask for the Arrow? I most likely have more into it than I can ask but I'm just not sure. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks

chopper man
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: How Much Do I Ask?

well I guess add the cost of the kit, and anything else above that cost. plus your time then see if you think you can sell it for that if not adjust
Good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a general rule of thumb, you get 50% of what you paid. You get nothing for your labor or your time. That is if you are just selling it cuz you want to.

On the other hand, if you build a kit for someone as a "commisioned build" you get 4 to 5 times the cost of the kit and related equipment.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Rod Bender

Chopper Man,

Figure you can get your engine money back, and 40% of the plane. In this hobby, unless you have a specific buyer for a plane\project, your just never going to get your money out of it. I just sold 5 planes, 2 engines, and a 6 channel radio with 3 receivers and 9 servos for $600 total at a swap meet. Every person got a killer deal, and I walked away with money from planes\equipment that I no longer had a need for, and would have never flown again. Think of it as good karma. Have a little faith, and it WILL come back to you down the line ..... Greg
Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Look around in the marketplace at what others are going for and you can get a good idea. Generally you can do OK on radio equipment and engines. By the time the buyer factors in shipping etc with the plane you can get very little for it.

You would probably be better off selling the plane in your club.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:18 PM
chopper man

I'm going to put it up in our local hobby shop. He wants 10-15%. I didn't figure I would get any of my time or labor but then again I didn't build to make a big profit. I really just want a fair price and that way I can go buy the retracts for the Bonanza kit I going to start. Thanks for everyones input. If anyone else has any suggestions please don't hesitate to let me hear them.
Thanks
chopper man