Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wing fillets

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing fillets

I am wanting to add wing fillets and am not quite sure how to do it. I believe some folks use micro balloons and epoxy but it seems to me if you dont go in with a good game plan you could really make a mess with that. The kit I am building came with a thin piece of flexible ply to use as the fillet and once in place it says to use leftover balsa to fill in and sand to shape. From the pictures in the manual I am just not seeing it.

Any suggestions?

Also, what about fillets between the fuse and stabilizers? Will adding fillets in both places add a lot of weight (its a 40 sized sport scale warbird)?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default RE: wing fillets

Gringo Flyer,

The fillets are not that hard to do. Glue the thin plywood (veneer) to the wing saddle with the wing bolted on. Just be sure to place wax paper, or plastic wrap on the wing so as not to accidently glue the wing to the fuse. Mix up your epoxy and micro balloons to a consistancy of toothpaste and smear it onto the fuse/plywood joint until you have the desired curvature. A good trick is to use your finger wetted down with rubbibg alcohol. You can get the joint so smooth, very little sanding will be required. Don't be afraid to use the alcohol. It won't effect the epoxy other than smoothing it out.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's also worth asking what plane it is. Some fillets are HUGE while others are not.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Gringo Flyer

Its a yak 3 from redstarrc.

So do you curve the veneer at all or does it just glue straight to the fuse?

I think thats what I am not seeing clearly.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Gringo Flyer

The fillets are supposed to big pretty big but I cut them down so this could be a learning experience. The veneer goes horizontal and you build on top of it. Thats what I wasnt seeing at first. This is my 7th kit but my first with fillets.

I did as you suggested Ed and it is amazingly easy. I knew you could thin epoxy with alcohol. The trick of smoothing the joint with a finger dipped in alcohol is a great tip. It comes out like glass.

I'll post pics when I finish.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:40 PM
MinnFlyer

Depending on how big they are, you may not want to use just a filler as some of them shrink in large quantities.

I usually add some tri-stock to bulk it up a bit first.

The plywood template you have glues to the wing saddle. It serves as both a bed for the filler and a form for the shape (Forward-Aft)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33626.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	689616  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do it oyur way, Mike, except I used stryofoam in place of the tri-stock. I'd glue scrap stryofoam to the fillet base and fuselage side, then sand it down with sandpaper wrapped around a screwdriver handle. I'd put the microballoons and epoxy on top of the foam.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
MinnFlyer

Styrofoam works. I just recommend using some sort of "bulk" before adding the filler
Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

The fillets are supposed to big pretty big but I cut them down so this could be a learning experience. The veneer goes horizontal and you build on top of it. Thats what I wasnt seeing at first. This is my 7th kit but my first with fillets.

I did as you suggested Ed and it is amazingly easy. I knew you could thin epoxy with alcohol. The trick of smoothing the joint with a finger dipped in alcohol is a great tip. It comes out like glass.

I'll post pics when I finish.
Glad to hear a success story. I'll be looking for those ppic's.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Gringo Flyer

I glued the veneer on and then a thinner strip of balsa on top so that its not all epoxy. A little bit of the balsa strip sticks out but it will easily sand down even.

All in all it looks pretty good, I would have liked a larger fillet but this one turned out nice and was a good learning experience. It looks a lot nicer than a squared of fuse to wing joint. Next time I will try the styrofoam.

With as easy as it went I think I am going to put fillets on the stabs as well.

This project is my first attempt at anything scale-like and a lead in to my big scale build. I am looking at either a Skyshark Avenger, Stuka, or a TF P-47. My grandfather flew an Avenger I its really my ideal project but for $$$ reasons I am leaning towards the Stuka. Its a great looking bird and an less modeled plane. Plus no retracts!!!

Here's a pick of the plane pre-fillets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14415.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	689979