Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Recovering an old plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recovering an old plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:42 PM
stgrlee-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering an old plane

I am stripping the covering off an old telemaster. Some of the old covering color is sticking to the balsa. I've used my heat gun and it works some. Anyone know a quick and easy solution to this problem?
Mike
Old 03-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Stick Jammer

Ain't no easy fix brother, it's a PITA. Some guys use acetone to get some of the residue off but you have to be careful not to soak the wood or melt any glue joints. Sand, sand, sand.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:41 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just finishing a recover on a low wing racing plane. I have about 6 weeks of working evenings invested in it. It can be tedious work. Forget about acetone it evaporates too fast. I used an iron and heat gun to heat the old covering then pulled it off. Any colr residue that was left I used laquer thinner to clean up. Finishe off any stubborn spots with sandpaper.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:01 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No lie, it is a pain. Can be worth it though. Peel the old off like they said and sand what you have to. It will be worth it.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:21 PM
TerrellFlyer

quick and easy is remove as much as possible then cover over the rest with a darker color,some of the old may show but thats quick and easy.