Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

motor hesitates while adding power

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

motor hesitates while adding power

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 AM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor hesitates while adding power

I have a super tigre ABC 45 on my trainor. I had to replace the housing for the high speed needle because the threads for the nipple valve were are stripped out. I tried readjusting the idle mix screw and high speed needle but I can not get it right. The motor will idle ok and run at high speed no problem but when I go from idle to full speed the motor hesitates and sputters for 10 seconds slowing building power then finaly picks up speed. I dont know what I should do to get the motor running good again. Anyone in the kalamazoo michigan area I would love some help if available, thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Penuts

Default RE: motor hesitates while adding power

Sounds like it's to rich on the low end.When you adjust the idle screw, only turn it around 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn at a time.Keep doing this untill the transition is fairly smooth.
ST are very fussy.I have a 75 took me awhile to get it right. But now its running great.
If it quits while applying full th, its to lean,so back it off 1/8 of a turn or so.

You'll get it,just take a little time.

Good luck
Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Try leaning the low speed needle valve. If it is too rich, the engine loads up with fuel and will sputter and cough when transitioning to full throttle. Or try this: run the engine at full for a few seconds to get it cleared out, then pull back to idle. Let it idle for 8 seconds, then pinch off the fuel line entirely. If the engine runs for 2 or 3 seconds then quits the low speed is probably about right. But if it runs at idle with the fuel line piched off for 6 or 8 seconds, then this indicates the low speed is too rich.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
devil505

Thanks for the advise, I just want to make sure that turning the idle mixture screw clock wise will close the valve more leaning the engine out
Old 06-02-2007, 04:19 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

yes, if the engine has a "two-needle valve" carburetor. I am not familiar with the supertriger .45. Most .45 engines over $80 come with a two needle carb. Some lower cost engines (e.g. OS LA .40 or .46) come with an airbleed carb. These engines typically cost less than $80. You should be able to tell by looking closely at the low speed screw. If it is simply closing an air hole in the body of the carb, it's an air bleed. Air bleeds need to be turned CCW to lean the engine, while needle valves need to be turned CW.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
devil505

My OS LA 40 has the bleeder, the super tigre has 2 needles, thanks