Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Do you think CA shortens your lifespan ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Do you think CA shortens your lifespan ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:00 AM
DJ Gadget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think CA shortens your lifespan ?

I have found out that I have become allergic to CA. It is an aquirred allergy, as I never was allergic before.

Do you rekon that we shortening our life spans further by using CA, in addition to all the the other crap floating around our atmosphere.

Should we be concerned ?
Old 03-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It sure does. It will kill cells in your lungs and air passage. This also happens everytime you smell gas or any other chemical that is harmful to the body!
Old 03-02-2003, 02:17 PM
TerrellFlyer

I think CA has extended my life,makes building so much easier and less stressful,stress kills. Any thing can be harmful if abused,even water,but I'm not going to live in a bubble,not enough room to fly.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Intruder38

The reactions to CA vary a lot, from respiratory symptoms like asthma and bronchitis to heart arithymia. Just remember, at one point you were not allergic to CA at all and now you are. It is probable that, unless you get away from the stuff, the reactions will increase in severity until .... In other words, it's a good bet that continued use of CA will eventually cost you dearly.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:13 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

CA, like alcohol, kills brain cells. But if you're lucky, like me, it only kills the dumb cells.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default CA

It sure might shorten your life, Just the other day my wife told me that if I spilled anymore on good cloths she was going to kill me, so there is the direct link to CA being dangerous to your health.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

DJ, I'm just wondering if you ask your doctor for advice on how to trim your plane. Or ask your mechanic how to raise kids. I'm flattered you trust your life to us guys that answer these forums.

Personally I use a fan when I'm using lots of Ca (which is almost never). I figure if it was really dangerous it would have a more serious warning label.

Tom
Old 03-02-2003, 05:02 PM
pinball-RCU

I think we should be concerned about anything that can make us sick in the short term. Therefore, I do what I consider prudent. I set up a good sized fan blowing across my workbench, wear a respirator rated for organic vapors and I leave the area if my eyes sting the least bit.

Are there long term affects? I have no idea, but the above precautions don't cost much in money or hassle, building means a lot to me, and I haven't had much luck with other adhesives.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:36 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I had an interesting conversation with my friend Gary last night about this very subject. He met a guy at the R/C Expo in Puyallup (Feb 1) who was walking around with a small tank of qxygen. The conversation got around to it and the guy stated that he had been using Ca glue for 20 years 24/7 almost, work related and it destroyed his lungs. It plugged up what ever those things are called in the lungs so it does make one think!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 08:02 PM
pinball-RCU

I sort of always thought that anyone who was using CA daily in a business would either wear some protection, or have some kind of exhaust system to remove the fumes. Makes you think about ARF builders in China. Anyway, did you get any information about the type of company, and why he wasn't given protective gear. Or was he?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:29 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, and this sounds wierd, but true. If I use CA my right eye swells up to almost shut. Stay away for a few days everything is back to normal. I am going to get a fan as others have, but am also looking for sealed goggles to help keep the fumes out of my eyes.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:42 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been developing an allergy to it for a long time. I got a really good ventalation system and it helps. Sure as heck not going to quit building over it. Beats the heck out of the old ambroid glue.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Symptoms of exposure:
Vapor is irritating to mucous membranes when above TVL. Prolonged and repeated overexposure to vapors may produce allergic reactions with asthma like symptoms in sensitive individuals.

Read MSDS at:
http://www.techmarketinginc.net/msds_cyanoacrylate.htm
Old 03-02-2003, 11:19 PM
CafeenMan

Well, if you drive a car, then anything else you do is pretty much inconsequential. But I think CA isn't worth using anyway. It doesn't speed me up any, costs too much and makes my structures ugly because it runs everywhere. The only way to keep it somewhat where I want it is to use medium-thick stuff.

Use carpenters glue and build pretty airplanes.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Al Stein

Yes.

I also think it was a primary contributer to the death of a young man who was president of our local R/Cclub at the time, a few years back.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:43 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by pinball
Makes you think about ARF builders in China.
I don't think anyone's ever developed an allergy to hot-glue
Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 PM
tinker-RCU

Default ca

i believe just your pocket book. thier are other glues that are good or better. a old Arabic saying THE CAMEL IS SLOW BUT THE EARTH IS PATIENT if we take a little more time we can eliminate the problem............my .02 cents

tinker
Old 03-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Farmall

I had a building marathon to get a plane ready for a show, 2-12hour days of building using CA. Next day at work I had chest pains, thought I was dieing, went to the Nurse and she sent me to the doctor who sent me to the hospital. They took a load of blood tests, wore a heart monitor for a week and of course the symptoms went away, I stayed out of the shop the whole time and relaxed in a chair, I didn't want to die. Well the monitor showed nothing and I felt great, doc says can't find anything wrong with you all the tests came back neg!

OK, great nothing to worry about, I go back into the shop and get to work, got to catch up, another 8 hour day using CA and BAM it's back. Needless to say no more CA for me!

Yes I'd used it for years, and after reading some of the problems people had with it I was using what I thought was good ventlation, but I guess not.

I guess like anything, too much of a good thing is bad for you.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:02 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default The NOW generation...

It is amazing how many people are in such a big hurry that they will neglect their health.

I use some CA occasionally, but usually use epoxy and Elmer's depending on application.

I like airplanes so much, I will wait a little longer for the glue to dry if it means I will be around longer to fly!
Old 04-04-2003, 04:48 AM
Eaglewatch

I think using a fan to pull the vapors away from you is a VERY good idea, and maybe even using an exhaust system vented to the outside.
I developed sinus problems and watery eyes using CA. Now, for any amount of work I do these days, I use a fan to pull in fresh air, and another to pull the fumes away from (and out of) my work area.
I recommend doing this with epoxy glues, finishing resins, and polyester resins as well, since this can be problematic for some people (especially over a period of time).
If you are really concerned, get a positive-pressure feed mask and air pump setup, like professional auto body painters use for catalyzed paints.

Regards,

Al
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2003, 11:04 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Default CA

I read an article a few years ago about hobby adhesives. I do recall it mentioning that CA was not harmful if used in moderation (as it is by your average modeler). But, I do remember that the article mentioned some very serious concerns/issues about the kicker/drying accelerators (for CA). The article also mentioned that epoxy resin should not come in contact with skin (I recall it saying that once it is in/under your skin, some of it will be there forever ... cannot be flushed out ... or something like that).
Personally, my adhesive of choice is Ambroid. I use Ambroid in most places (and use CA and Epoxy only if needed for that particular area/application). Bob