Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WANTED: Ohio Pilots for airshow

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WANTED: Ohio Pilots for airshow

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WANTED: Ohio Pilots for airshow

Hi all!
Let me introduce myself, My name is Doug Keck. I am a life long R/C addict. Also, I own a full scale maintenance shop at Skypark Airport in Wadsworth Ohio. Our airport has an annual airshow named the Summer Celebration. I am in charge of the model airplanes and recruiting a few R/C pilots for the event. The show is on Sunday, June 24th, 2007. I have managed to get a couple of time slots during the show, where the runway will be closed to full scale and opened exclusively to us, the R/C modelers! After the show, there will be a meal open to those in attendance. (If you want the dinnner, you must purchase a meal ticket at the event) While everyone is eating, we will leave the airport open for R/C pilots to fly and entertain the crowd. During the show, there is usually a crowd from several hundred, to nearly a thousand spectators!

I am inviting any modelers who wish to attend. I will personally pick the aircraft that will fly during the show. I have secured two 15 minute time slots. One before lunch, and one in the afternoon. I will be choosing up to four aircraft for each time slot. Admission is free and there are refreshments available all day. I want to showcase R/C airplanes to the general public. So, a diverse amount of aircraft are needed. If you own a turbine, and would like the opportunity to fly it from a full scale runway, PLEASE CALL ME! I WANT YOU HERE!!!!

Please call me directly, post here, or PM me for complete details.
Remember! That is Sunday, June 24th, 2007 at Skypark Airport in Wadsworth Ohio.
Thank you in advance, I hope to see you at the show!

Doug Keck (330) 608-9330
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 AM
firstplaceaviator

Default RE: WANTED: Ohio Pilots for airshow

Are you kidding me? No One wants to come out and show their skills???? C'mon guys. I really need some help here!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Count me in if you can come up with an airline ticket

Sounds like a blast.. I would jump on it if I was even in the same hemisphere.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
firstplaceaviator

Thanks for the kind words Gringo!
The show is a blast every year. We have a constant flow of airplanes giving rides. Their are lots of antique, experimental and certified planes on display. We even have a classic car and hot rod show. My friend will be racing his top fuel dragsters down the runway. Their is a full scale spot landing contest, a bomb drop competetion, fun events for the kids like making their own parachutes and games for the whole family. This is a great event! I can't believe no modelers want to come! What do I have to do to get some modelers to attend? Help me out here guys...PLEASE!
Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM
YAT-28E

Check the AMA website to find area clubs that you can contact?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 AM
firstplaceaviator

I have sent 26 E-mails to nearby clubs listed on the AMA website. I am getting a little worried. No one has responded yet. C'mon guys! Don't let me down! We need you here for the show!
Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my take on your situation:

Several years ago our club was asked to fly at an event such as yours. After viewing the situation, we found it impossible to flind an open area to fly over. There were planes parked everywhere, and we considered it too risky to fly models over them. So we declined. Since then we have passed a resolution that no member of our club will fly at such an event - if asked - the answer will always be "no".

Perhaps the clubs you are seeking have similar thoughts or rules. That may be why you are getting little or no response.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
firstplaceaviator

Hi Jim,
Yes, space is tight and you will be overflying hangers and parked aircraft. However, there is more than enough space to fly models safely. I will also be doing safety inspections on any model that is flown. I have the Civil Air Patrol handling crowd control. It was extremely difficult for me to get the runway closed for the R/C models. I persisted, because I feel that it is not safe to have both models over the runway and full scale planes at the same time. This is the fourth year I have run the model portion of the show. It was either they do it my way, or I was not going to do it at all. The politics and logistics of an airshow is a huge undertaking. I am doing my best to insure everyones safety. But, there is risk both from the full scale planes and the models. If a modeler doesn't want to fly, than I would still appreciate them bringing out a few models to display for the crowd. This is a great opportunity to promote model aviation and have a great time.
Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

There were models flown at last 4th of July's airshow at Tinker Airforce Base in Midwest City, OK. It was not a problem, and if they can do it at a military installation, then it shouldn't be a problem elsewhere. with established flightlines and safety rules, you will be covered by all AMA insurance...
Old 05-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Jim Messer

It doesn't matter where the event is held - if you have to fly over parked airplanes - there is considerable risk involved. I was witness to such an accident - not naming names - but old timers will remember - a model went out of control and crashed through the fuselage of one of the Blue Angel airplanes, which grounded it for the airshow to follow.

A better solution to the problem is to just have a static display of models where no risk is involved. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
firstplaceaviator

Jim,
There is a risk that a full scale airplane blows a tire and shoots off the runway and into the crowd. There is a risk that the dragster goes off the runway and into the crowd. There is a risk of someone being hit by an out of control model. There is a risk of someone walking into the propeller of a taxiing plane. There is a risk of a full scale plane stalling on take off and crashing into the crowd. We know the risks. This show has an outstanding safety record and is now in it's 25th year. We do our best to make the event as safe as possible. The Fire Department, EMS and Med Flight will be there, standing by ready to go to work . With your line of thinking, we should cancel the whole show and call the event "Come see our airport day" The show will go on and a great time will be had by all who attend!
Thankyou for your input,
Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Flying freak

I jsut got a similair weekend for my area for a show that is comign up this weekend everyone is declining becuase they put very strict limit (500 foot cieling and our landing approach is over a full scale hanger no one wants to be part of that action...)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
firstplaceaviator

We have no such limits at this show. Models have been flying at our show for over 20 years. There has not been a single accident involving a model airplane that resulted in more than a broken model. This is the first year that I have turned to a forum in hopes of rounding up some top notch pilots and top notch airplanes. I really thought I would get a positive response. Instead, it seams that I am getting a bunch of excuses why modelers shouldn't even show up. This is really discouraging. I thought modelers had pride and wanted to show the public what a great hobby this is.
Doug
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Jim Messer

Doug -

I hear what you are saying, about risk, and you are right - almost everything we do involves some kind of risk or another - BUT taking un-necessary risks just to please a bunch of spectators makes no sense to me, and yes - by my way of thinking, there should be no model show - other than static.

If you do fly, I seriously doubt that AMA would cover any accident, should one occur, because flying over anthing other than open space directly in front of the pilot violates AMA rules. Consequently, as the leader of this event, you personally could be held liable. I hope you are well insured. If that is O.K. by you - then by all means - have at it.

You state that you are going to personally inspect all airplanes that fly. Are you going to check all the batteries to make sure they are fully charged? Do you have a way to inspect to insure that one doesn't fail? Some years ago, I personally inspected a very large B-25 model that crashed during the air-show because of a failed elevator pushrod. Fortunately the model crashed on the runway, so no injuries were involved, but had there been injury and a lawsuit, I would have been right in the middle of it for declaring the model safe to fly. After that incident - I will no longer inspect any model, for any reason, other than my own.

You do what you have to do - I'm out of here.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
2slow2matter

Jim,
now you are just arguing to hear yourself talk, and you have no idea what you are talking about. the only thing in the AMA safety code about flying in any area (including public demonstrations and airshows--both RC and RC/full scale) is that a straight flight line should be established between the pilots/flying area and the spectators. there is no mention of what's on the ground in the AMA safety rules.

And I would imagine that if the military OK's it to be flown around their multi-million dollar aircraft, then the private airports shouldn't worry either. If something were to happen, then the AMA insurance would cover so long as the established flightline existed, and safety rules were posted somewhere. There is an inherent risk in any event such as an airshow, and those that attend assume some of that inherent risk. If I lived close, I'd come and fly. Not that I'm that great, but I could hold my own OK.

I'm sure we are not talking about intentionally flying over any parked aircraft. but the possibility of flying over one would exist, because they are in the area. As long as it isn't intentional, then it wouldn't be in violation of any rule. Static display.....na, the people want to see them fly.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
bkdavy

I think this is just the wrong forum to post this.

Brad
Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi Doug,

I'm with Gringo..............but I think the airline tickets from Oz to Ohio are more than from Gringo's nearest airport. It sounds like a great concept and similar events have been held here in Australia..........but now that i come to think of it they have all been at RAAF (military) fields. I stand to be corrected on this point.

Seriously, and I come from the second most litigious area in the world! California in the USA is No 1/head of population and New South Wales here in Australia is number two. If you were to offer me and some of my mates from my club free airfares from Oz to the event we would still need to be 100% certain that we were personally covered by more than adequate third party life and property insurance during the event.

Good luck mate,

Colin
Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Doug,
Sorry you are having sooo much trouble putting this together. Let us place the blame in the proper place though, the laws of the land. I know I love to show my talents and models, but not at a great personal fianacial risk. I had a friend run an experimental aircraft off the runway and into a cornfield and the farmer said 2k or lawsuit!
JEB[:@]
Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM
exeter_acres

Just sent you a PM with an idea,

But I thought I would post that there is an IMAC contest in Hamilton, OH that same weekend, so many of us that fly Giant Scale in the area will be at that.........
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM
firstplaceaviator

The flight times have been established. 11:00 AM and again at 2:00PM. After 5:00PM, modelers will be allowed to fly at the north end of the runway until dusk!
Hope to see you at the show,
Doug
Old 05-27-2007, 12:40 PM
John Hanske

Doug,
Hope you get a better reponse than what I have seen so far. When I first saw the post. I thought,"Wow, this guy is going to be overwhelmed!" I am really surprised that you have not been inundated with requests. Contact the AMA VP for your area, maybe he can help.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
firstplaceaviator

Thanks John,
I too thought I would end up with too many modelers. I am getting a great response on the Giant. But, here at RCU... Not one single commitment. I am dismayed. With all the people I have helped here, I thought carma would be on my side, and I still think it is Hopefully, I'll get a few more inquirees.
Doug
Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

I would join you to fly, but the distance is a little too far for me to drive too. I think that if you have takers, a good inspection is a requirement, but I would have to see the volunteers fly first (may be the day before) to make sure that the pilot has the skills. In Little Rock last year, the airport had an openhouse (with full scale on display) on one of runways. I flew about 30 non-pilots on two trainers(on a buddy box) over 4 hours with no incidents. Good luck on your show.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 AM
firstplaceaviator

I want to thank everyone here for their interest in our show! I really apprecieate the warm welcome you all have given me! I have received several positive responses to my post. The event is now AMA sanctioned and properly insured for the R/C portion of the show.

Anyone who would like to attend is welcome to come. I cannot garantee that you will get to fly during the main show, as the there are only two time slots that will be 15 minutes each. One is at 12:00PM, and the other at 3:00PM. We have the Cleveland Aeromodeling Society bringing some top pilots and their own MC in. I am still hoping we can get a pilot to put on an R/C jet demo also. However, after 5:00PM, while the dinner is being served, you can fly all you would like. There will still be a couple of hundred spectators and fellow modelers that would be very impressed!

Right now, the show will start at 11:00AM. There will be events all day, right up until 5:00PM. There will be 200 dinner tickets sold. The dinner will be a German meal of sorts. I'm not sure what our chef has in mind and I can't ask him right now, as he is in Germany! The tickets are $8.00 for adults. There will also be a kids meal available for $5.00 each. The $8.00 tickets are going fast. I only have ten of them. I can probably get more. But, I would need to know right away.

Thanks again,
Doug Keck (330) 608-9330
[email protected]

The airport address is:

Weltzeins Skypark Airport
3071 Greenwich Rd.
Wadsworth Oh. 44281

It is near the I-76 and Rt. 57 Interchange, approximately 2 miles west of State Route 57 on Greenwich Rd.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
firstplaceaviator

HaHa!
I just received confirmation that a well known jet jockey will be bringing a jet or two for our event!!! This is going to be a great show. Really, if you can make it... You should come. You will not be disappointed
Doug