Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Paint matching Monokote - second question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paint matching Monokote - second question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Propwash in Pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint matching Monokote - second question

I was able to match the Circus Pink Monokote with a high gloss latex / enamel paint from Lowes. I will be painting the cowl and wheel pants of an Extra 300. I also picked up a clear coat of urethane (not sure of the interaction). Does anyone have experience with what worked / didn't work regarding this topic?

Thanks,

Word of advice from recent fun-fly, when low and inverted, push forward!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paint matching Monokote - second question

ORIGINAL: Propwash in Pa

I was able to match the Circus Pink Monokote with a high gloss latex / enamel paint from Lowes. I will be painting the cowl and wheel pants of an Extra 300. I also picked up a clear coat of urethane (not sure of the interaction). Does anyone have experience with what worked / didn't work regarding this topic?

Thanks,

Word of advice from recent fun-fly, when low and inverted, push forward!
One of the nice things about latex is that you can use anything over it without compatibility problems.

The latex you used will need to "cure" about 3 weeks before clear coating. Flat latex takes about 7 - 10 days to cure, semi-gloss and gloss take about 21 days to cure.

Press your finger FIRMLY on a hard spot. If a fingerprint remains, the paint is not cured yet (Don't worry, the fingerprint will disappear in a couple of days ).

Oil base urethane is going to yellow on you in about 6 - 8 months. Water base urethane will not yellow, HOWEVER, it is fuel RESISTANT WITH THE FOLLOWING CAVEATS:

1. Do not expose the clear coat to fuel residue for a minimum of 7 days.
2. Do not let the fuel residue remain on the plane for over 4 hours. After 4 hours the residue will soften the finish. (This is using MinWax PolyCrylic [ Blue label ] )

For a fuel PROOF clear coating, use Ultracote clear of Lustercrap clear.

I have done some experimenting with ACRYLIC clear enamels and have had some excellent results with "Dupli-Color Clear Acrylic Enamel" (many automotive parts places). My experience has been that 2 thin - medium coats spaced about 4 - 5 days apart is fuel proof using 10% nitro. It may be good for higher, but all I use is 10%.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

i have used the same stuff as campy,he has it down also so listen to him.i used 60-40 thining with water and a cap full of flowtrol in my paint and it sprayed very fine and shiny,good luck it will work
Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Propwash in Pa

Thanks all, I will try this method. I just noticed that my avitar is also a pink extra 300 from a few year ago. Wow, that scarey.