Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Li-Po Pack goes bad after only 2 months

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Li-Po Pack goes bad after only 2 months

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Troyski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Po Pack goes bad after only 2 months

I purchased a Stryker F27- C which came with a 11.1V 2200 mah 3 cell Li-Po battery. I have had this plane for only about 2 or 3 months, and when I was charging the pack today I saw a very small puff of smoke and now my pack only registers 7.6 volts!! Due to helpful advice I received from this site I charged the pack with a voltmeter to 12.6V ( the pack was at about 11.85 volts at the time ). I feel like this pack should have lasted a lot longer, and I believe it had a bad solder or something which caused a short. I have had some hard hits on the ground, and I heard that this type of battery can be easily damaged. Maybe this was the cause for the malfunction. Anyway, this pack cost $65.00 and I was wondering if I have a legitimate reason to ask for a replacement. I purchased this plane online through Hobbyzone. I have had a hard time finding a way to e-mail my concerns to them. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Li-Po Pack goes bad after only 2 months

You can always ask. But do understand the only warranty carried for most items is limited to "materials and workmanship" - especially electrical items. The fact the battery had worked well up to this point bodes strongly for the original "materials and workmanship" issues, so it seems to imply that one of your "hard hits on the ground" might have been harder on the battery than you originally suspected.
The manufacturers don't guarantee your plane from breaking if you smack the ground, and the battery makers don't guarantee their batteries under the same conditions, either. That's one of the reasons this can be an expensive hobby.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Troyski

Default RE: Li-Po Pack goes bad after only 2 months

Thank you for your reply. Hobbyzone.com gave me the contact information for the manufacturer. I recently got a response from them asking for my name and mailing address so they could get another battery out to me. Good customer service from parkzone.