Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting Solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
riteflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Solartex

Can anybody help please?Iam trying to paint solartex using other than the recommended solarfilm paint products . The reason is because our local hobby shop doesn't stock their paint. I have tried enamels , acrylics and topflights lusterkote but the paint comes of when you remove the masking tape when I try spraying on another colour.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 AM
beepee

Default RE: Painting Solartex

riteflyer,

I brushed on a coat of nytrate dope first then sprayed on Rustoleum. It held on well against the masking tape and has tolerated gasoline. I am told it holds up reasonably against glow fuel as long as you clean it up promptly and avoid the silver paint. Rustoleum is far superior to any hobby paint I have used: opaque, resistant to runs, and easy to apply.

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

riteflyer:

I am currently in the process of painting a Stearman covered in Solartex and I am using latex paint. You did not say if you applied a coat of primer to the solartex before you painted. Balsa USA states that you must put down a coat of primer before you paint or, guess what, when you pull the masking tape it will pull paint with it. I applied a coat of Poly Brush primer which happens to be the primer Balsa USA sells and recommends. I have had zero problems (so far).

My .02.

Dan
Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some flat clear dope and make sure you seal the edges of the masking tape otherwise the paint will bleed under the tape.

I have painted Solartex with Latex and Krylon paints and have had no problems. Remember to clear coat after you are done with the painting.

Solartex is fuel proof, however, due to the more open weave, the exhaust will stain the covering. The clearcoat prevents the staining and makes cleanup easier. One thin - medium coat will do the trick and still let the fabric show.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:00 PM
DaveB

I too will soon be painting white "Solartex" with a second color on parts of the wing and fuse. It's my understanding that latex paint is preferrable, although I have not painted with latex or on "Solartex" for that matter. My question is; can latex paint be applied with a brush with good results, followed up with with clear coat from a "rattle can".

I do not own any spray equipment and really don't want to buy any unless absolutely necessary. My painting experiences have been limited to cowls, landing gearand struts, with satisfactory results from "rattle cans". The "Solartex" project is a first timer for me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

DaveB
Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM
riteflyer

At the moment Iam in the process of trying some samples on scrap pieces of Solartex and found this morning a bit of success . By roughing up the surface of the Solartex with a very fine grit paper and then spraying with Lustrecoat the paint stays on.I was thinking of using the Lustercoat as an undercoat and then lightly sanding it .Then spraying the colour of my choosing in enamel to match the fuselage.The enamel becomes reasonably fuel proof if left to cure for 2 to 3 weeks.