Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Memory Battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Memory Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:38 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory Battery?

Ok Guys;
Here’s a novel question, has anyone that has bought a computer radio ever had to replace “The Memory Battery”?

A friend of mine got on the phone to the Airtronics call center and they bluntly told him that his radio problems were because this battery should have been replaced in his transmitter – “Have you replaced it?” – “It should be replaced every three years!”, and “It’s in the owner’s manual…”

We both looked in his manual, and found no reference to a memory battery, so was this call centre person aware of a great secret - or trying to blow sunshine up our kilt?…

Just to be sure; we went to the local hobby shop and checked out the JR manuals, as well as the Hi Tech manuals – sorry no reference to the “Memory Battery”

So now I am going to the Ultimate reference center – RC Universe. Does anyone know anything about the “Memory Battery”? []
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Memory Battery?

I know the highe end futabas have a memory battery that is lithium and should be good for 5 years or so .I am refering to the 9vap,8ua and 7ua.they are supposed to be done at a service center due to accessability
Old 09-16-2006, 06:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure which Airtronics radio you have, but I've been flying Airtronics for 10 years and have 4 computer radios (1 Radiant, 2 Quasars, and 1 RD 6000) and I know to change the lithium battery that maintains the radio's memory. The manual for both my Radiant and my Quasar's say to change that batter every three years. While I could easily change the battery myself I instead send the radio in to Airtronics and have them change the battery, and at the same time do a complete check-up of the radio.

Ken
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
DougSter

see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5993428/tm.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup!
Mine was JR.
Try contacting Radio South.
They are reliable.
Ron
Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new JR designs don't use a battery and Hitec never did. No excuse nowadays for the battery to be used in any design, but they are there from the past. I always avoided these designs because you can lose all of your programming.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM
nigel1

It may be like a pc clock battery sometimes they look rather like a chip with a clock printed on the cover and the battery is soldered to various legs of the chip beneath the plastic cover. or you might have a 3volt lithium battery to support the memory. both are relatively cheap to replace in computers but as for r/c equipment I'm not sure.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:01 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Huh? Been using Futaba over 20 years, several different transmitter models over the years, and never ever heard of them having a memory battery! No where in any of the manuals for my radios. Where does your information come from? Also had some of them 10 years and never replaced a memory battery or had a problem.