Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glow vs. Gas Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow vs. Gas Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:47 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow vs. Gas Question

Hey, Everybody. I'm interested in the Hangar 9 Extra 260 27% plane. They recommend a 50cc gas engine or a Saito 2.20. The Saito is smaller in engine displacement than the 50cc gas engine. But does that mean that the amount of power that the engines put out would differ also? I believe since the Saito 2.20 is a smaller motor, that the 50cc gas engine would put out more power. Can somebody please enlighten me how this works. Thanks.
Clinton
Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Glow vs. Gas Question

The power will be pretty equal but; the Saito will require twice as big a fuel tank to get the same flying time per tank of fuel. Also, the Saito will be lighter and will probably require that you add nose weight to balance the plane properly.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

If you can, find someone using the Saito 2.20 and see what kind of luck they have had with it.Two of our club members got them and had nothing but trouble with them.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Flying freak

How about a big glow 2 stroke probably give you the best preformance a moki 2.1 should make that plane gop like a he*ll but you must rmeber that glow will be more expensif in the long run (you should be able to get the fuel for the moki done at about 12$/gallon) also the glow engine is a little bit less reliable then a gas engine....
Old 06-24-2007, 01:45 PM
flytheedge

Well, see. I was wanting the best performance for this plane, but also, I'd like to move up to a 50cc size plane. So if I can get like a DA-50 motor for this Edge 540 120 to work with excellent performance. Because I've never used gas engines before, I'd like to try it on this Hangar 9 Edge, and then move up to an Aero Works Yak 50cc size plane or the WileHare Edge 540. Is this a plausible idea?? Thanks.
Clinton
Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM
warhwk

Wait for someone with real experience to chime in. I think the plane is a little small for a 50cc gasser myself...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM
warhwk

Wait for someone with real experience to chime in. I think the plane is a little small for a 50cc gasser myself...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
flytheedge

Hey, Warhawk, do you think I could make it work if I used throttle management or would it just require way too much nose weight to even do?? Thanks.
Clinton
Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
warhwk

I'm not qualified to answer that. I had no right to even offer an opinion. I'm sure you will find a decent answer pretty soon.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
MasterAlex

... another factor you may want to consider is the amount of fuel you'll burn and its cost. That big Saito is thirsty and Glow fuel is way more expensive than gas, regardless of where you buy your fuel. Something I'd consider when evaluating a Glow vs. Gas purchase.

-MA