Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Christen Husky

Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
pilot727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Christen Husky

Has anyone bought a christen husky, just want to know if it is a well built arf and if it builds nicely, ect: any information would help, i want to buy one but it says very little about the plane at all at KMP it is a nice looking airplane and just what i have been looking for to fly off the snow and maybe water, i have been flying a LT-25 with an OS-32SX on ski's by dubro and they work so well i even wrote to dubro to see why they do not build a larger plastic ski because they do work so well and even in powder, just a few run's and you have a trail, then fifty or so touch and go's and they say that floats work even better, but if you have not done it, do so as it is the most fun i have had with my planes.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Christen Husky

I have a Husky by KMP. As far as building goes it is built pretty solid. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance but she is still nice. It flies like a cub as you would expect. I fly mine with an OS 120 pump engine and a 15X7 3 blade. I'm at 5000 feet so a little more power and a bigger prop are in order for flying off of the water. You have to set it up to accept floats as you would expect. I just added a 3/4x3/4 block the width of the fuselage and expoxied to a bulkhead to connect the rear of the floats. It's not a bad plane and doesn't need nearly the flaps it comes with. As far as flying I'd say it's great. As far as built to last it's great. As far as having everything just right to be pretty and being a perfect ARF....not so much, but really nothing to complain about.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to see this post.... Am considering the Husky or the new H9 1/4 Cub. Husky is about half the cost. My biggest concern is the fit of the windshield and the cowl. Does your 120 fit inside without having to hack up the cowl for clearance? I would most likely use a .91 FS mounted inverted, have had good luck that way. Are the flaps effective, even if you don't need them?
oh yeah, while I'm asking things...What time is it in Bombay?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 PM
superflea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

current time in bombay is 0627 01jul07

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/curre...px?city=Bombay
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[X(] !!!!!! That early????
Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM
superflea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep i guess so its almost time to head to the field.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I'm not there by noon, don't wait for me......... I'll be dreaming about the Husky (a true R/Cer) [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
superflea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ahh come on yer jest down the road.two and a half hours. we'll be there around 9. I'll be waiting patiently
Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 120 in the Christen Husky by KMP Keep in mind I'm not really good at cutting cowls so it's not perfect. But it doesn't hang out too bad. The 91 should be even less. Note the muffler is missing. On a pump engine it makes it sound really really good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18070.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	714701  
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, that don't look too bad, I like the idea of having the head an rockers right ou in the breeze anyway. Did you buy direcct fro KMP or did you get at local shop? I was curious about shipping , as far as damage if any and I guess cost....
Old 07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flea, What's the best route? Astoria then up or take 4 out to 101? Might be a nice day trip
during the week, come up and fly for a bit, then stop in Astoria for a good seafood dinner on the way home..........Drop me a PM and give me some good directions........
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered directly from KMP. It was $256 and some change shipped. It takes about a week to get to you from them. Make sure you call them with the order instead of ordering online. Sometimes they don't get online orders for a few days. The box the plane comes in is in another box that seems to protect it pretty well. My outer box was a little torn up, but the airplane was in great shape. It's nicely packed in the box. I didn't mention it, but the wings have the built in stall tips. The landing gear is really nice with big tires. It's a dual elevator setup, but they make it really easy to setup. Oh....Throw away the book. It is really no help. all the hinge points are CA hinges, and the ones that come with it are nice. The Hardware isn't too bad fo the price. All in all I'd say it's a real good value for the money. Seems it should maybe be a little more expensive, but don't tell Andrew....lol
Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 PM
pilot727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cowboy
It look's like you done a nice job and i just love the look's of them tire's, doe's the landing gear have a little spring to it, I am going to use a YS-110 on mine, also with the Hide Soft Mount for the smoothness and vibration free, i love to fly off the snow, my cap 232 sport has a two peice landing gear made of fiber glass and it is the best landing gear i have yet to own, they have great flex to them, I am using the 110 because of it's size and for it's great power to get into the air quickly, i have two of the 110 engine's and of all the different engine's i have run, it is by far the smoothest and a great running engine, a plane like that is not about the speed but about the power and dependability.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cowboy, About a week ago I saw a KMP 109, and was impressed with what I saw. A lot of people knock these ARF's, but they are not intended to be contest competative out of the box, and as long as I don't confuse a Husky with a 109, I'm satisfied....... Thanks for the pic and the info, will check with my LHS and then make my decision on who gets my bucks....
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All I can say is I'm lovin that Husky. When i get a better handle of flying a cub type plane instead of a war bird rocket or aerobatic pretzel I'm going to make the flaps more like fowler flaps so I can do those level takeoff where you are going up faster than going forward. I'm still yet to get the floats done for it which is it's ultimate fate. To fly off mountain lakes early in the morning. Can't wait for that. I'll have to post pics when i get to float flyin.. Oh yeah....Those are the wheels that come with the kit.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM
pilot727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cowboy
I have a set of floats i bought from a friend, they are in good shape and are 36 inches long and on the back part of the floats a wire fold's up and on the top it is flat where the other wire in the front come's up the same way but has two pieces of wire that go straight up almost like you could sit a plane right into it, i have never had floats mounted on a plane, any information and pictures would be a great help to me, i want to buy the christen husky and use them floats if they are long enough for that plane, thanks for any help you can give to me, Rollie
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 36 inch floats should be the right size. It's just a matter of placing them in proper relation to the CG of the airplane. I'm putting 36 inch on mine as well
Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Paul Morrison

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure you call them with the order instead of ordering online. Sometimes they don't get online orders for a few days.
The only time that will happen is if I'm on vacation. That happens very rarely. Online orders end up in my email box, which I keep running in the background every day. I try and take good care of you customers of ours. You're a precious commodity. : )

Thanks also for the kind words about the husky. Its nice to know its found a place in someone's heart. Even the 'price' comment is nice, though we have no intention of raising it.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM
pilot727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cowboy
When your done would you send me some pictures and explain how you done yours, thank's, Rollie
Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what would you like pictures of? It really is very simple to build overall if you've built any arf's. I'll post pictures of anything you'd like to see. the fowler flap idea is going to be two regular control horns facing each other bolted together at the bottom hole with a small gap between the for the push rod connection.

Since Paul has seen this thread I want to say thank you for all your time and help with ordering. KMP has been great to do business with. The Husky most definitely has a place in my heart. Then the other day I saw one at the local airport, full size. I don't think it could get any closer to the real thing without changing it so much it wouldn't be worth it anymore. Thanks for a great plane and keep up the good work.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a flap up and flap down. Well, at least the basic concept. I'd have to use two of these type hinges on each flap, but this would be the one controlling the flap

Name:	Jh15750.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	719739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88609.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	719740  
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This post sure went away awful fast. I'll have my floats from Sea Commander on Friday. This has been quite a nice plane so far I have to admit.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well not everyone jump on the post at once......Here's mine ready for a flight off the water

Name:	Xv63878.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	793164  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

new pic

Name:	Jh14907.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	797777  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hiya guys... hey can you tell me, these are 5 Channel? as in have flaps??

Cheers, Paul