Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Want to install Flaperons

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Want to install Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:25 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to install Flaperons

I have a Futaba 6EXAP and I want to install Flaperon on my Limbo Dancer. The instructions say to put the right wing servo in Channel 1 and the left wing servo in Channel 6 and turn the FLPR to the on positon. I have done that and the problem is when I turn the flap dial both aileron go down but when I return the dial both ailerons go past neutral to the full up positon. Can anyone help? The instructions seem quite simple and makes me feel dumb [&o]. Thanks all and have a great day.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Want to install Flaperons

My 6EXAP did that too.
I've been flying with them like that. It's been fun.

At least until you forget which way to turn the dial to get the position you want.
It's tough getting old.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 AM
goirish

Thanks PD1. I can relate to getting old. I don't know if I can remember to not turn the dial to far. OOOPS!!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
broke_n_bummin

They're supposed to. If they both stopped in the heutral position, then the ailerons will only move down when you turn.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
goirish

Thanks broke n bummin
So I have to be careful when I retract the flaps so they don't go beyond neutral? I think that will take some getting use to in the heat of battle. Wonder what the Limbo Dancer would do with both ailerons in the full up position, would it act as air brakes? I guess get about 400 ft high and then try it.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Here's a dumb question. Why do you want to use flaperons? To make more square like turns for pylon racing?

Just curious. Making your ailerons point downward, and being it as it may, most ailerons are on the wing tips, will make your airplane more likely to tip stall. By pointing your ailerons in the down postion is reducing effective wash out.

If your just playing around to see what happens well then, great! Have fun, that's what this hobby is all about. Learning somethings you just gotta do on your own!

Raf
Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
goirish

Hi Ravill
I guess I just wanted to see how they worked. The radio is set up for it, so I thought I get the most for my money. But think I will change my mind. Don't do tip stalls. Thanks for the reply
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use flapereons quite often mainly to reduce the landing speed. I use JR radios therefore am not familiar with the set up on Futaba. however, they probably can be set up in a similar way. On my JR they can go up or down, my choice but do so only when a selected switch is thrown and I am in low motor. I must preselect the throttle stick position for them to operate. Nice because if your approach is off just go to high motor, flaps go off normal flight is resumed. I also usually mix some rudder in with ailerons when in this mode as well. It is reffered to as landing mode.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Jburry

Use the little knob cover that came with your radio on the flap knob. Set it so the little arm strikes the radio case at the point where the flaps are neutral, and be merry.

Not sure if EPA might be useful to you on this... Try playing with the epa on Ch. 6. Probably would work too, unless that just sets epa for the left flaperon servo...That'd suck.

J
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
hebertjj

Try landing with the ailerons up! This is the "air brake" configuration and gets around the loss of washout and tip stall problem by actually adding washout. It also makes the plane really stick without bouncing when you touch down.