Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

getting that prop nut tight

Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 AM
1fasthitman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default getting that prop nut tight

I'm getting frustrated trying to tighten the nuts on the output shaft on my engines. Everytime I apply pressure on the nut, with the prop aligned properly on the spinner, the backplate for the spinner shifts, and I can't get the cone on. I have a cowl on the airplane, so I can't get pressure on that piece(sorry, I dont know what it's called) behind that backplate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: getting that prop nut tight

Now you know why some of us will use nothing but spinners with a single bolt in the middle, it doesn't matter where the backplate ends up. One thing you can do is cut a small round piece of sandcloth with a sticky backing on it and stick it on the prop hub side of the spinners backplate. When the prop nut begins to tighten the sand paper "digs" into the prop hub and keeps it from turning.

Also be sure your not running out of threads on the crankshaft before the nut becomes tight also.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 1fasthitman

I'm getting frustrated trying to tighten the nuts on the output shaft on my engines. Everytime I apply pressure on the nut, with the prop aligned properly on the spinner, the backplate for the spinner shifts, and I can't get the cone on. I have a cowl on the airplane, so I can't get pressure on that piece(sorry, I dont know what it's called) behind that backplate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have a similar spinner on one of my planes. It's plastic - needs the screw mounts lined up properly. When tighening the prop nut, I hold the prop and backplate while tightening the nut. Kinda tricky but you can hold them in the aligned position and get the nut torqued properly.

somegeek
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 1fasthitman

First things first, did you ream your prop so it slides without effort down to the drive lug? Take the spinner backplate off. If you can't drop the prop on your prop shaft, all the way to the drive hub, then it's sticking on the shaft and needs reamed. That snug fit is helping the nut turn the prop and shaft, and hindering the load you want to apply to the backplate.

That said, if your prop isn't snug on the prop shaft, then you can sand the ribs off the spinner backplate, to get full area contact between it and the prop. Also, you could cut a washer of doubleside abrasive, to fit between prop & backplate.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
It is easily fixed.
But first! You don't use a plastic spinner without a back-plate do you? if so get rid of it a get a Tru-Turn aluminium spinner, Thats the best spinner there is .Plastic spinners without backplate should never be used as these are prone to desintegrate and often have bad balance.
The slipping backplate is easily fixed with a thin (0,4mm) plywood washer behind the backplate.
I have used this on many of my pylonracers for many years.

Another alternative is to not use aspinner at all and just use a spinner aluminium nut.
This is what I recommend to use and use my self on most of my airplanes, Q-500 racers as well as sport airplanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45869.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	712142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55417.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	712143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35217.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.5 KB