Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

os 40 on canard

Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default os 40 on canard

I have nothing but troubles with older 25 engines on my pusher canard, they just wont run or stay runing , they heat up and dont draw the fuel very well, I have a good la OS 40 ,will this do the job on the same plane?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46393.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	712227  
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: os 40 on canard

Hi suzonka
I have been flying a Canard I designed for about 4 years. For anyone to help you we need more information about your plane. What are the various specs, including weight, wing span, chord, etc? Generally, a pusher engine cannot cool itself while on the ground. I get into the air withing 30 seconds of engine start. If more time is needed to tune the engine I replace the prop with an identical tractor prop and tune all I want. What is the location, vertical and horizontal, of your fuel tank relative to the carburator valve?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi suzonka
I have been flying a Canard I designed for about 4 years. For anyone to help you we need more information about your plane. What are the various specs, including weight, wing span, chord, etc? Generally, a pusher engine cannot cool itself while on the ground. I get into the air withing 30 seconds of engine start. If more time is needed to tune the engine I replace the prop with an identical tractor prop and tune all I want. What is the location, vertical and horizontal, of your fuel tank relative to the carburator valve?
[&:]

The tank is even with the needle valve wing spand is 48 inches x 6.5 inches, wieight is 3.5 lbs front wong is 34 x 5 inches trike landing gear . its the canda goose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83943.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	712383  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
anonymouse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm gonna ask a stupid question.........Your picture shows a regular tractor prop, not a reverse pitch pusher prop...you are not try to run that engine backwards are you? Just asking...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi suzonka
You did not mention how far away the fuel tank is. On my Canard the center of the fuel tank was about 15 inches away from the carburator. I was getting irratic RPM during various manuevers. I added a 2 once fuel tank right next to the engine and solved all fuel problems. Muffler pressure connects to the main tank; main tank outlet connects to small tank pressure connection; small tank outlet connects to carburator. Your .25 engine, if in good condition and tuned right should handle a plane that size. I have a pusher puller with two .28 magnum engines. In the winter I can take off with just one engine, front or back. I use 9 x 6 props made by APC. The pusher prop is marked 9 X 6P. The P is for pusher. Make certain your pusher prop is not mounted backward. The efficiency drops tremendously. Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: anonymouse

I'm gonna ask a stupid question.........Your picture shows a regular tractor prop, not a reverse pitch pusher prop...you are not try to run that engine backwards are you? Just asking...
No the reason is durng my initial carb adjustment I wanted the engine to stay cool so the regular tractor is there for only that reason , then I changed to a pusher when it was all set up right.. Thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi suzonka
You did not mention how far away the fuel tank is. On my Canard the center of the fuel tank was about 15 inches away from the carburator. I was getting irratic RPM during various manuevers. I added a 2 once fuel tank right next to the engine and solved all fuel problems. Muffler pressure connects to the main tank; main tank outlet connects to small tank pressure connection; small tank outlet connects to carburator. Your .25 engine, if in good condition and tuned right should handle a plane that size. I have a pusher puller with two .28 magnum engines. In the winter I can take off with just one engine, front or back. I use 9 x 6 props made by APC. The pusher prop is marked 9 X 6P. The P is for pusher. Make certain your pusher prop is not mounted backward. The efficiency drops tremendously. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks again , I had a header tank like the helicopters use and it still didnt work and it was a 2oz and now my tanks about 10 in away from the carb at the center. I even used larger fuel lines to allow more fuel to flow.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking at the photo of your plane it looks as if the engine is mounted high. Is it a lot higher that you fuel tank that would cause your fuel flow problems as well as lean conditions that could be the root cause of you overheating. If the centerline of your tank is below the spray bar on your carb this would explain a lot of you issues. If it is try going to an inverted mounting, I do believe this was Andy Lennon's preferred method of mounting an engine and this would cure your problems.

P.S nice job on your plane.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 PM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Looking at the photo of your plane it looks as if the engine is mounted high. Is it a lot higher that you fuel tank that would cause your fuel flow problems as well as lean conditions that could be the root cause of you overheating. If the centerline of your tank is below the spray bar on your carb this would explain a lot of you issues. If it is try going to an inverted mounting, I do believe this was Andy Lennon's preferred method of mounting an engine and this would cure your problems.

P.S nice job on your plane. say this may sound crazy , but its a chance to try it out, what if I mount the tank temperally on the top wing so its way above the carb line and if it works then Ill do something differrnt ,I cant lower the engine any more because of the ground clearance.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
iron eagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It might flood with the tank was that high but a worth a shot.
If you were to mount it inverted your prop should be mounted at the same level as it is now only the head pointed down which would lower your carb about 1/2 an inch or so. Sorry if I am missing something but it looks like you engine is behind the fuse so that is why I mentioned changing you engine mounting to an inverted setup.
Either way I feel that you real problem is with the tank level relative to your engine, is there any way you could raise your smaller tank to the spray bar level? I do not think the distance is your problem but the tank height try it first with a regular prop (for cooling) while the plane is secured on the ground. If you can adjust it and it runs in all ranges from low to high with no problem try it in the air.

You will be surprised at how much the tank level can effect the performance of a models engine. I would go with a bit longer fuel ine if it would allow you the proper height for the tank level. The mid point of the tank should be at the spray bar in your carb.
Another option is to go with a side winder mount the head pointed to the side this will also lower your carb.

Also keep in mind going with a 40 size will add more weight and require more ballast up front which will add to your wing loading and reduce the performance of your plane.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 AM
suzonka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

It might flood with the tank was that high but a worth a shot.
If you were to mount it inverted your prop should be mounted at the same level as it is now only the head pointed down which would lower your carb about 1/2 an inch or so. Sorry if I am missing something but it looks like you engine is behind the fuse so that is why I mentioned changing you engine mounting to an inverted setup.
Either way I feel that you real problem is with the tank level relative to your engine, is there any way you could raise your smaller tank to the spray bar level? I do not think the distance is your problem but the tank height try it first with a regular prop (for cooling) while the plane is secured on the ground. If you can adjust it and it runs in all ranges from low to high with no problem try it in the air.

You will be surprised at how much the tank level can effect the performance of a models engine. I would go with a bit longer fuel ine if it would allow you the proper height for the tank level. The mid point of the tank should be at the spray bar in your carb.
Another option is to go with a side winder mount the head pointed to the side this will also lower your carb.

Also keep in mind going with a 40 size will add more weight and require more ballast up front which will add to your wing loading and reduce the performance of your plane.
[X(]ok ill try the tank set up first