Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Props and paint jobs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Props and paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Fear2722
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props and paint jobs

Hey all-

I've been flying off and on for the better part of 11 years now, and after about 2 years totally away from the hobby, I got back in this year with a CG Extra 300 and a Seagull Models Edge 540 .90. Both are powered with a .90 Supertigre. So after serveral flights of getting used to using the radio again, the edge is nearing completion.

Anyway, the edge is much more scale appearing, and definately more aerobatic than the extra's design... much bigger control surfaces, plug in wings, its even a pound lighter with the same dimensions!!! As this plane nears completion, I've been stocking up on different props to experiment and see which one really fits the aircraft.

One particular prop I chose was an APC 14x4W. It's a wide profile sport prop for 3d. I know it's a good idea to paint the tips of the props, but I want to take it a step further and make it look like a fullscale prop... gloss white front, flat black on the back, and have red tips.

what's the best kind of paint to use to do this, and with me, being as inexperienced as I am at painting, how do I go about taping it off to paint it correctly without any overspray on the front or back?

With this being on a relatively small aircraft (under 70" span) will this paint add enough weight to make a difference or will it be a non issue?

Like I said, I've got several props so I'll do one and if I dont like it i can just hang it up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Props and paint jobs

I would get the length of area correct, and use masking tape to mask off the area. Spray will tough in such a small area, I use a brush. for the white, I just dip it in a can of Rustoleum. I haven't had any balance issues, but they should be easy enough to correct with just a dab of paint added to the light side to balance it if needed. I fly off grass, so I have to repaint about monthly.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only problem is going to be avoiding paints that don't stick to the plastic. Finding a paint that sticks to plastic isn't easy.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 AM
rwright142

Sorry, I posted a reply here that was intended for another thread so I deleted it.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
scratchonly

I use white latex house paint, brushed on, dry overnight. White will likely take 2-3 coats these can be done one hour apart. Clean any overrun on the back with a damp cloth. Do the black, same way. I topcoat with spray varathane clear mineral base. Works for me. Rough up the prop with fine sandpaper, the paint will stick better. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
jetmech05

I always paint my prop tips. I even painted an APC black once. used Krylon
1st. rough up the prop using a fine sand paper
2nd clean it all with alcohol
3rd mark and tape, paint first color. when dry clear coat (flat..always use flat on a scale model)
from now on make sure to press the masking tape that your going to use to mask with against your clothes to remove some of the sticky, there is a good possibility that you can damage the paint you just applied
4th keep adding colors
5th 1 more clear coat
6th balance prop by sanding the trailing edge of the blade.
bare in mind it will peel off over time
I've been around aircraft for a long time I've never seen a white prop. aluminum, black, polished. are common with a black back.
Red tips will, believe it or not, not be as easy to see as you might think. full scale military use 6 in white red white stripes or the old yellow tips are easier to see.
I hope this helps good luck