Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting a New Saito .56 to run well.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting a New Saito .56 to run well.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a New Saito .56 to run well.

Hi all, need advise. I have a new Saito 56 which I broke in on test stand as per instructions. I could only get it up to about 9000 rpm but didn't push it. It was running well so installed it in a plane, light weight spitfre arf. Restarted and ran it to make sure fuel lines, tank, remote starter etc. were all working. No problems. I have a 12x6 APC on it and was still just getting about 9000 rpms. When I flew it last night I could tell that it just didn't seem to be pulling the way it should and was doing a fair bit of falttering at full or near full throttle. Tonight with a 11x7 APc prop it was able to get up to 10000rpm and still faltered some ranging between 10,200 to 9300. Modest needle valve adjust ments got it to aqn unsteady 10200. Now I'm not looking to get MAX rpm but would like to see it getting a fairly steady 11,00. The question is, should I expect this sort of "behaviour" till it has bee really run a few times?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Getting a New Saito .56 to run well.

I really don't know what you expect from a Saito .56 but I have a well broken in 10 year old .56 and I get 9500 on a 12 - 6 on a GOOD day. I am very well satisfied with that. If you want that kind of performance in that size you had better invest in a YS .63. I have 2 and get 10,500 on a 13 - 6. I have no idea what prop you would run on a .56 in order to get 11,000 but I bet it won't last long.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:00 AM
alan0899

G'day Norm,
Check out this Saito site, you may be expecting unrealistic RPM's from your engine, remember it's a 4 stroke so don't expect 2 stroke RPM figures.
http://saito-engines.info/prop_sizes.html
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 AM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with all the above. My Saito 56 runs like a champ but never high RPM. I have it in a tribute 36 with a 13x4 prop because it is made to run slower with high torqe. On an off note you said that when you leaned it a bit more you had some surging at the top end. You may have vibration of your fuel tank and getting bubbles in your fuel lines. Pad it well with good foam and try it again. If you get it too lean it will do the same thing. It may not give you more RPM like you want but at least the motor won't be running unnecessarily hot. In my experience and from what I have heard from others in RC is the saito 56 is one of the most reliable motors you can have if you take care of it.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
oceansfiftyseven

Time and tuning. Every few flights you will be able to gradualy lean the LS needle a little at a time as the engine breaks in. After a while the surging will go away and the engine will increase rpms. When my .56 was new It could barely hold 9000 rpm's on the break'in stand. Now she is very responsive to the HS needle and will hold 10,800 on the same 12x6 prop. I back her down to about 10,200 or so to fly it. Of the 3 saito's I have it is the sweetest running darn engine. Just not super powerfull. Try tuning the top end with a tach as it is hard to hear the change in rpm with a 4 stroke. You have too find the right rpm range that is not to lean and not too rich too eliminate the surging. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is to just give the engine some time. It will come to life and I think you will be very happy with it. Rich
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 40 mins. on the runup stand , my 56 took another gallon of fuel , flying a little rich on both ends , then she really srarted to run nice. Very reilable and great throttle responce.
Your engine may need more run time. Also if your looking for high rpm`s , you`ll need to look at the 2 strokes or prop the 56 to pull faster.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:03 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

think you are expecting too much from your 4 stroke. I have a saito 56 and run in at about 9000 to 9500. 4's don't rev as high and 2's

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Ricky Blade

mine was unsteady rpm's @ 1/2 to full throttle untill i DISCOVERED and corrected the fuel foaming issue. i opened up the tank mounting and wrapped it in soft foam. problem solved for unstable upper rpm's. i agree with the others that 4 strokes are not made to rev as high as 2 strokes and you can damage one trying to rev it so high. ricky