Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel tank setup

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel tank setup

Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
kauffs894

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank setup

I have a fuel tank set up for a 91 surpass with the air vent, main fuel inlet line and the fill line. My question is, where would I place a fuel dot, (which line)?. Or, where can I go to find set up guidelines or instructions. the instructions that come with the fuel dot shows the fuel dot being placed in line with the main fuel line but that would mean that the fuel fill line on the tank itself would be unnecessary.

HELP, Thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: fuel tank setup

Welcome to RCU. [8D] I set mine up with the vent line going to the exhaust, the main fuel inlet goes to the carb and the fill line goes to a fuel dot on the cowl. The main inlet line and fill line are basically the same except that I make the main inlet line (carb inlet line) go all the way to the back of the tank but with enough clearance so that it doesn't get hung up on the end of the tank. I make the fill line a little bit shorter than that since it doesn't matter too much how long it is while filling. But keep in mind that if it's too short you won't be able to get every drop of fuel out of the tank when you want to empty it. Usually that's not a problem anyway.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: rclement

Welcome to RCU. [8D] I set mine up with the vent line going to the exhaust, the main fuel inlet goes to the carb and the fill line goes to a fuel dot on the cowl. The main inlet line and fill line are basically the same except that I make the main inlet line (carb inlet line) go all the way to the back of the tank but with enough clearance so that it doesn't get hung up on the end of the tank. I make the fill line a little bit shorter than that since it doesn't matter too much how long it is while filling. But keep in mind that if it's too short you won't be able to get every drop of fuel out of the tank when you want to empty it. Usually that's not a problem anyway.
See attached diagram.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41357.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	713560  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Often, I put a clunk on the muffler vent line, so it is on the bottom of the tank, and the fuel dot goes to the vent. Or it is loose in the cowl with a screw or plug. This setup will provide an even fuel mixture from the begining of the run to the end. It is called a Uni Flo setup. Works just like a bottled water cooler.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
kauffs894

thanks for the informatin everyone, I have been stewing over this for a few days and all of the suggestions were very helpfull. I think that the problem is that I don't have a fuel dot, but a DUBRO quick fill, that has two connections on it instead of just one . I have decided to run the intake line straight to the carb, the vent to the muffler, and the fill line to one side of the quick fill with a plug in the other side of the quick fill. This I think will give me the ability to drain the tank easily later on. if ever needed. Also I was thinking that the possibility of the valve sticking was enough of a reason not to place it in line with the intake line. Does this make sense or am I missing some important step or information with the fuel setup.

KAUFFS894