Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:18 AM
sharpshooter223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME PLEASE!!!

i have an hitec hs-55 servo, and of course its too late to return it now, but it kinda got knocked around and the tiny tiny part that stops it from spinning all the way around snapped. now that its the main problem cause i still have that tiny tiny part and a sharp set of eyes, so i believe i can fix it, however, when i pluged it in to see if it was ok, the next problem happened. i turned it on and turned on the radio and it kept spinning and spinning and spinning in one direction. i was able to manually stop it with my finger but it would barely turn the other way and would be very very slow. then if i turned it the other way again it would keep spinning. it would spin at neutral radio input. i dont know if something with the electronics themselves broke or what. but i need help. what do all of you suggest doing besides buying a new servo. im kinda moneyless right now.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: HELP ME PLEASE!!!

It sounds like you have stripped the gears. The gears tell the POT when to stop. becuase that gear is not tuning, the servo motor doesn't know when to stop and just keeps turning in one direction. The gear set is very easy to replace and they cost less than $5.00.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCTD1&P=ML]HS55 Gear Set[/link]

Heres how to rebuild it and what to expect:

Keep the servo over your workbech while your working on them so parts don't hit the floor and dissapear.
Put a towel on your bench so the parts don't bounce on to the floor.
Take the 4 case screws out and remove the top of the case. The gear with the output arm may stick in the top. That is a good sign. It means that the bushing is in good shape.
I leave the screws attached to the case bottom, So that I don't have to look for them later.
Pull the circuit board away from the case carefully. Inspect it under a magnifying glass for cracks, corossion and the security of the circuit components. If it looks good put it back in position and proceed to the gear train.

Put a drop of white lithium grease on each gear shaft and the motor gear. Then smear a little grease on all of the gears, making sure all the teeth are lubed.
Reassemble the gear train.
The pot will have a flat side on it's shaft. Make sure the gear is in the right spot when it goes together. It should just slide on the shaft without much pressure.
Put the bottom back on, tighten the screws (NOT TOO TIGHT!)
Test the servo. The servo is now ready for installation in your plane.
Doug
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
sharpshooter223

um, yea, the gears are fine, but the small projection that stops the output gear is snapped so it it able to rotate all the way around, but more importantly when plugged in it only likes to rotate one way and hardly the other.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

The servo is junk. Buy a new one. It isn'r worth loosing a plane over a $13.00 servo.
Doug
Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
MadScientist

You're going to do all that work for a cheapie servo like that? Chuck it and get a new one; they're disposable at that price.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
PMAXX
My Feedback: (5)

You live in "RICH"land Washington. What do you mean your moneyless? Um, uh 260 cans @.05 =13.00 [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, you guys are vicious, LOL
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
jetmech05

time for a new servo