Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Covering Question

Ok, so what's the secret decoder ring password voodoo method that those ARF builders use to get perfect looking covering on compound curves?
I'm repairing the end of a Pitts wing, and the compound curve is a wrinkle-producing compoud curve.

Yeah, I'm sucky at covering, but the ARF builders (who cover planes 8 hrs a day or more) make it look easy.
A little help?

[]
Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monokote Covering Question

Years and years of practice. I know many modelers that can do a far superior covering job than any ARF I've seen. Then again, they have been covering for 30 or 40 years.

I'm almost as good at covering as some ARFs, so perhaps I can help. Most people don't realize that Monokote stretches also. You need the stretching quality for wrinkle-free compound curves. I use the heat gun to pull and stretch the covering around the wingtip. Careful, there's a fine line between enough heat and blowing a hole in the wing covering. once you go past halfway on the first side cut the covering where it's already stuck, so you don't get wrinkled fringes. Repeat on the other side. Trimming is more difficult on the second side because the covering must overlap and be cut without cutting through the first piece. Stretch the covering until it overlaps and then cut the covering just barely past where its stuck down so you don't get a series of waves or wrinkles. Use an iron and carefully roll down the seam. I also use Ultracote which IMHO is slightly better at shrinking and stretching than Monokote.

Minn-Flyer also has a great series of video tutorials on RCUniverse.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Monokote Covering Question

ORIGINAL: Nathan King
Minn-Flyer also has a great series of video tutorials on RCUniverse.
RCU member MinnFlyer has done some great how-to articles and videos on covering. check them out as they will go a long way to getting you started.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=67] Minnflyer Covering how-to [/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726] Minnflyer, Another Look at Covering[/link]