Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

who else fears this problem

Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM
sharpshooter223

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default who else fears this problem

ive noticed that over the past 5 years with electric planes growing more and more comming, it is starting to take over the market. who else fears that it will completely push glow engines away and subsitute its inferior power.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: who else fears this problem

Inferior power?

Can you explain that???

Currently (no pun intended), I would say it's more expensive power, but inferior? Besides an RCV SP series engine, what else is capable of turning a scale 4 blade prop on a 60 sized warbird? (or just about any sized warbird)

Scott
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it's just an alternative.. chill out
many folks realize that you need a fortune in batteries to fly all day esp with the larger planes whereas with glow, gas or a turbine, you land, gas up and go and go and go, no waiting for batteries to cool and then recharge etc..

so chill there, no worries UNLESS the price of batteries comes WAY down, then electrics will continue to be more popular!

and hey , some of the combinations out there are quite powerful!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:22 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait 5-10 years and then worry. It seems inevitable that the glow plane will be the exception and not the rule. If I were starting out today I guess I would go electric. As it is I have to much glow stuff.

david
Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I left the Electric for Glow, I love the smell and sound of a Engine. Dealing with Electric Motors, Chargers and Speed Controlers is too complicated for my book.

Plus, I haven't flown a Electric that really handled like full size planes. It seems that they are mostly too light. JMHO

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If they ever outlaw nitro ,I bootleg my own. lol
Don`t worry , Nitro is not going anywhere soon.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

If they ever outlaw nitro ,I bootleg my own. lol
Don`t worry , Nitro is not going anywhere soon.

Yes, we will have a Glowing Protest in Washington D.C. I KNOW MY AMA RIGHTS!!!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
crawler tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If they (electrics) continue to drop in price, I'll be all over it.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crawler tech

If they (electrics) continue to drop in price, I'll be all over it.

The airplanes are cheap... but they get you with battery prices. Plus I don't have to wait to charge my batteries after every flight... or take my plane apart every time to change a battery. Now, I just fuel... and go!

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Nathan King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They'll have to pry my glow engines out of my cold dead hands!

The growing population of e-pilots doesn't bother me at all. I fly what makes me happy and they do the same. Glow engines/parts will still be manufactured past the end of my lifetime (and I am young). The only thing that bothers me slightly is the ever increasing noise regulations. People don't seem to tolerate the noise as much as they used to.

Electric isn't inferior, just different. We have a pattern pilot at our club that flies a 2M aircraft with electric, and he can accelerate in the verticals until the airplane turns into a speck. Of course, his batteries cost about $400-$500 each.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just dont care for electric myself.
now if I were into helos i might try electric due to the sound of the blades. sounds more like a turbine
slimemers for me.....beats driving electrons down a conductor. just my opinion
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
sharpshooter223

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, i was just making sure there was still enough people for glow, some electric people seem pretty intent on overrunning the market with their motors. i am sure they are way more expensive (i looked up the power systems for a .10 sized plane, electric it would cost 105, glow it would costs 65 for a nice os setup.) but to me they are inferior, i mean seriously, lets see an electric motor pull an expensive half sized or full sized plane.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Nathan King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sharpshooter243
but to me they are inferior, i mean seriously, lets see an electric motor pull an expensive half sized or full sized plane.
Have you ever seen a full sized airplane flying with glow engines?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM
bullseye000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, i was just making sure there was still enough people for glow, some electric people seem pretty intent on overrunning the market with their motors. i am sure they are way more expensive (i looked up the power systems for a .10 sized plane, electric it would cost 105, glow it would costs 65 for a nice os setup.) but to me they are inferior, i mean seriously, lets see an electric motor pull an expensive half sized or full sized plane.
I hate to break it to you but... in most circumstances an electric motor will produce more torque than a combustion engine. Although I don't think glow engines will ever fall out of favor I do fear for the companies that produce them. Cox models is one example. In my opinion a lot of models in the 1/2A size range can be effectively powered with electric setups. The small group of die hard aficionados just can't supply the demand. Around here noise is a big issue. We fly in a forest preserve and are always aware of the fact that we can lose our site at any time. Recently they started building homes in a corn field about a quarter of a mile away. A couple of fellows were flying some jets and the new neighbors got their shorts in a bunch... no jets now. However electric ducted fans are acceptable and electric prop planes aren't even an issue. Also I think if electric is going to ever be a first option for an aircraft modeler, the manufacturers better get their act together and start some sort of consortium to come to an agreement in terms of standards. I have a background in electronics and electricity and find myself pulling my hair out wading through all of the specs and custom nomenclature these motor makers are heaping on the modeling community. Lets get with it guys.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Noise has never been a issue in NY, what the real issue is that people do stupid thing with there planes... but again, that's another subject. Most Clubs here in New York State are in the farming communities, rural and or industry area's.

If anything, the noise draws crowds... and brand new people to this hobby. When I was a kid, I never knew what a R/C aircraft was until I hear a loud mosquito sound in the distance... and when I looked I saw a small airplane that was doing stunts 1/4 mile away. I walked through the woods and I ran up to the people and learned about the hobby back in the 1970's. I WAS HOOKED!

When I smell the Glow Fuel, and hear that engine come to life, I remember when I was 7. Then it lead me to fly the full size planes, then back to this hobby again.

I've seen glow engines run for years and years. Electric Motors only last about 100 flights... more if you are flyinq brushless. But I haven't seen a 15 year old electric motor still running. [&:]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Nathan King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bullseye000

Recently they started building homes in a corn field about a quarter of a mile away. A couple of fellows were flying some jets and the new neighbors got their shorts in a bunch... no jets now.
That's too bad. The homeowners should have thought about the noise possibilities BEFORE moving in, not force others who were there first to change their habits IMHO.

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

When I was a kid, I never knew what a R/C aircraft was until I hear a loud mosquito sound in the distance... and when I looked I saw a small airplane that was doing stunts 1/4 mile away. I walked through the woods and I ran up to the people and learned about the hobby back in the 1970's. I WAS HOOKED!
Have you read the "Modeling Spoken Here" article in the July edition of MA? Non-modelers searching out "that strange noise" was important for recruitment, but it isn't as effective as it was with the quieter engines and electric motors.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one eletric ,a Typhoon. It is a great plane for throwng up in the backyard and I do enjoy it, and I have seen some great electrics. But to each his own, I enjoy gas , nitro ,electric , helis, trucks , your name it and the people that own them and respect the time and effort they put into them.
It would get pretty boring if we all a flew LT-40 with SuperTigre GS.40s with quiet muffler.
So with all due respect, NITRO ROCKs ! The other stuff is cool too.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
broke_n_bummin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmmm ...On the up side, maybe if electrics become popular enough, there will be nitro wars and the price will go way down.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

Hmmmm ...On the up side, maybe if electrics become popular enough, there will be nitro wars and the price will go way down.
One can only hope ! But don`t hold your breath.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 PM
y2thomas2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As long as there are still REAL MEN out there, there will always be NITRO.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
sharpshooter223

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, noise isnt a problem at all in eastern washington, except when a neighbor launches a mortor round firework, but thats a way different subject. but the problem with your forest preserve, whats a bigger problem, a wee bit of exhaust or a house. you should take it up with whatever local government you can to get your jets back. i have not seen a full sized airplane fly with a glow engine although i think that would be cool. but i think i should stop using glow when really what i mean is a combustion engine. i do not plan on ever getting a full sized rc plane because i would much rather spend the money on a pilots license and a real plane, but my point is that combustion engines can fullfil areas that electrics cant reasonably compete in, so why is so much money going into electrics when we can be expanding the technology of combustion. heck, i wouldnt mind a hydrogen powered aircraft. but on to a different topic from what bullseye was saying, why isnt there land being set aside for rc planes that developers may not build around and push us out. cant we start to set aside more permanent land that is owned by rc pilots. i know right now eastern washington has plenty of land for it, but my area is growing rapidly and i fear that housing developers might start to build too close to the fields where we fly and take away our land because people dont understand the planes and get scared.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive noticed that over the past 5 years with electric planes growing more and more comming, it is starting to take over the market. who else fears that it will completely push glow engines away and subsitute its inferior power.
Don't exclude gas engines. I don't think OS, ThunderTiger, Magnum, Saito, DuraTrax, MVVS, Roto, Zenoah, RCV, Fuji, Laser, ZDZ, Desert Aircraft, Quadra, Moki, 3W,........................................ad infinitum, will go out of business from electric intrusion anytime soon. Electrics are just another alternative, and although I'll never own one, they are very impressive; I saw a 33% Extra, or some such 3D (they all look alike to me) running a gang of four electrics geared together at Joe Nall a while back, and it outperformed anything else there in that size....... at least until the batteries overheated and caught fire
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 PM
sharpshooter223

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea, thats one thing you dont often get with a combustion engine even though fire is its source of energy- a really expensive accidental pheonix
Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 AM
superflea

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

but to me they are inferior, i mean seriously, lets see an electric motor pull an expensive half sized or full sized plane.
Have you ever seen a full sized airplane flying with glow engines?

full sized planes could run glow engines. There is no reason why not, Glow is nitro and oil. A C85 aircraft engine is in the ball park of 200 CID and gives 85 HP, My super tiger .75 gives around 2 HP according to tower's tech specs. with those figures a Super Tiger 20000 would deliver around 530 HP.

The real problem with electrics I have is that in order to get the power etc from them you either need to be grossly overpowered, read that to mean excessive batteries, or you need to fly around at full power. That means that your batteries drain faster. That amplifies the down time. The military uses the term 'fire and forget' I think of glow/gas as fly and forget. just fly till your tired and ready for bed. I used to burn a gallon a week through a .25 at 6 OZ at a time. to get that kind of flight time in from electrics you need way to many batteries.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:28 AM
sharpshooter223

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, sure glow could pull a full sized plane, but they dont make engines that big unless you were to stick a few of the biggest engines you could find into a giant heavy duty gearbox.

but another problem with them is that they dont last as long. my grandpa has engines from 50 years ago that still run, and he used to fly them quite a bit. lets see an electric motor do the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service