Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba or JR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Futaba Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or JR

I have the Futaba 6EXA and was looking to upgrade to a more advanced radio. I had heard a lot of great things about JR so I was looking at the new X9303 2.4GHz or the 10x, also the new 12x that is due out this fall. I also have people telling me how the Futaba radios are also great, and the one I have as performed flawlessly so I was looking at the new 12 FGA 2.4GHz.
I know this question is probably mearly a matter of preference, but I would appreciate any input on facts describing which radio might be better...any help on this decsion.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba or JR

I like the Futaba. What are you doing that you need one of the high end radios? I have flown for 30 years and have done just about anything you can do with a plane and the 9C does everything I ever wanted to do and costs a lot less. The big ones are impressive to show up with, but why buy one if you are not going to use all the functions.

I have flown both the JR and the Futaba high end radios and prefer Futaba. You will find guys that like JR as much as I like Futaba though. Both are good, you just need to decide which you want and enjoy it. [8D]
Old 07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
thewrap

Jr is better by a long shot. Maybe not in all categories but they are better. The only thing that is somewhat inconvienient is the fact that they are not very price effective. But they are better. Great customer service. They have better hightorque standart servos. Yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the Ford VS Chevy argument all over again. I am a Futaba man for a matrix of reason's, however that does not make Futaba the best. The best radio is the one that is going to work best for your needs and wallet. You need to figure out just what you want your next radio to do and what you are going to want to feel comfortable with your new radio and then go shopping. JR has advantages over Futaba and Futaba has some advantages over JR. To me my Futaba's feel better in my hands and I like the location of the switches. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've know people who wouldn't fly anything but Futaba and other loyal to only JR. Guess what??? They all fly just fine. I would decide what features you want, what you are willing to spend and find a radio to match.

As for myself, I am probably going to get a Futaba 7-channel FAST system when it comes out.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed about Futaba , their always trying to catch up with JR.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Don41

To me it is merely a matter of the controls layout. I'll never use more than my Hitec Eclipse (7 channel) has to offer BUT I prefer the layout of my brother's Futaba 7 channel. My Hitec makes it a little harder to check the trim positions and I prefer his knob locations. Setting my flaperons is awkward at times.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 AM
GRANT ED

One is not "better" than the other. They both have their good points and features. Pick the one that has the features you need for your application and get that. They are both good.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best servos on the market by a long shot are Futaba. This is coming from a guy that uses JR for play, Futaba for work. Pick the radio that will provide the ability to use the best servos.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Gotta love these swear by it/swear at it discussions. I would point out that you already have some Futata equipment, So you may have less to "re-purchase" if you stay with futaba. I have the 9C and the only reason I am considering upgrading to an even more capable radio is the consideration of a miltiengine bomber project that would eat up more channels than I have available with this radio. I stay with Futaba because thats what I've always flown as for any othe reason.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM
carrellh

I'm in a club with less than 40 members. We have people using Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, JR, and Spektrum. None have issues with the quality of their equipment, so I think it really is just a matter of what you prefer.

Since some of the radios you mention do not exist yet, you cannot really do what I'm suggesting anytime soon.

Find a good hobby shop that stocks all of the models you are considering. Handle each rado as if you were flying with it. If you use a neck strap, or a tray, have it with you and use it. For any with a long antenna be sure it's extended.

Which one is balanced better for you?
Which one 'feels' better to you?
Which one has switches, knobs, sliders, etc in locations that are logical to you?
Which one has, or lacks, features that are critical to you?

I ended everything with "you" because the only opinion that matters is your own.

If you do go to a hobby shop to do this kind of evaluation, please buy from that shop rather than doing mail order for a lower price. When my brother bought his first computer radio, the guy at the hobby shop pulled out a bunch of radios and answered all kinds of questions about programming and setup. LHS price was $200 plus tax and mail order would have been $170 to the door. As a percentage, that's a big price difference. The LHS earned the extra money in this case because they had units to compare and provided actual knowledge of the products they sell.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
[]TEX[]

I've seen and used both JR and Futaba. Both have functions the other doesn't. It boils down to what you can afford and what you need it for. No reason to buy more channels that you will never use. I have the 7CHP and it's just what I needed. I also have a 6EXH that is also very simple to use and quite capable.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
superflea

Which is better Ford or Chevy
Old 07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: superflea
Neither... gotta get an AMC Pacer if you want the best!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
meaden

Lol, my grandmother had a Pacer. Like ridding around in a fishbowl.

I have a Futaba 7CAP that has done everyting I wanted to up to this point. The biggest problem I've run into so far is not being able to get two elevator servos synced through the radio. I've been looking to upgrade too and I was looking at the 9CAP with a 2ghz module.

Point is I too think it's a matter of features that you need to do what you want to do.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Futaba Owner

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help.
I'm a still learning 3D pilot with asperations to go to bigger scale gassers for 3d and aerobatics. My question would be how many channels would be recomended? I know that JR and Futaba both have very nice 9channel radios but do I need more like possibly the JR 10x of the Futaba 12 channel?
Thanks again
Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Just make sure it is the "X" model if you want real performance. I'm holding out for a Gremlin myself.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Futaba Owner

I have the Futaba 6EXA and was looking to upgrade to a more advanced radio. I had heard a lot of great things about JR so I was looking at the new X9303 2.4GHz or the 10x, also the new 12x that is due out this fall. I also have people telling me how the Futaba radios are also great, and the one I have as performed flawlessly so I was looking at the new 12 FGA 2.4GHz.
I know this question is probably mearly a matter of preference, but I would appreciate any input on facts describing which radio might be better...any help on this decsion.
Thanks
It figures that a Husker would ask such a question! Which is better--NU or CU!

Just teasing of course
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Futaba Owner,

Everyone has pretty much told the whole story about Futaba and JR, it's just a matter of preference. I have a JR 7202 which will do everything I'll every need. I use to run Airtronics but anymore they are really lagging behind. I choise JR because I have all Hitec servos and all the servos, extensions, etc. will plug right into JR. I think Futaba is the odd one that will only work with Futaba. They will work with all the other brand but you have to trim the leg off the connectors.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 PM
superflea

ORIGINAL: carrellh

But Airtronics wasn't on the list of choices
Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Rod Bender

I've been a loyal Airtronics flyer for over 30yrs, Futaba has became my recent\current system, all 72mhz. Now that the 2.4 gig is in a town near you, its a matter of opinion. Ask a lot of questions to owners as you are here, look at all the TOC and other flyers in what they trust, and make a decision. Tomato\tomoto.............. I'm going to go with the JR X9303, as it will be the last radio I'll ever use\need for my flying.... Greg
Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

One thing I noticed about Futaba , their always trying to catch up with JR.

Please explain
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM
da Rock

If I were going to buy my first set, I'd buy JR. Quality isn't the issue. All the better sets are very good quality.

But I deal every week with guys who're setting channel 3 when they wanted channel 2 or somesuch. JR chose to label the aileron channel, "aileron", not #5 (or what is it on Futaba?)......

The little things matter sometimes. Sometimes not.

BTW, a buddy with a multi-plane Futaba has all his airplanes with numbers stuck to them. His Futaba lists the different airplanes as, "1, 2, 3, etc". My JR lists my Skybolt as "Skybolt" and my P47 as "P47".

Do any Futabas use names instead of numbers? I think so, but I couldn't afford them when I bought my first JR. Did I buy that JR just because of the names? Not hardly, but it's a nice little detail.

BTW, I got a couple of JRs now, and one HiTec.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
[]TEX[]

Hitec servos will work on Futaba systems, it's the Airtronics that are the odd balls and you have to change the servo wiring for correct polarity.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

it's the Airtronics that are the odd balls and you have to change the servo wiring for correct polarity.
That is the older Airtronics that are wired differently. All of the Airtronics sold in the last couple of years all come with Z-connectors that does not need any changes. In fact, the Z-connector is the same as the JR connector.

As a point for the discussion here on this thread. I used to be a diehard Airtronics fan, as they are the only radios I've used for the 10 years that I have been flying. But my support of Airtronics started wavering at Toledo this year when I asked them when they would have a 2.4 Spread Spectrum air radio out, their answer was at least a year. So that got me looking. Then Marc asked me if I wanted to review the JR X9303 2.4. Needless to say that I jumped on the chance. After doing the review I can honestly say that I am now a JR man. I'm saving up to buy new receivers so that I can start switching all of my planes over to the 9303. In all honesty this radio is way more than I will ever need, but I love it. I like the way it feels in my hands and feel that it has a better feel than any radio I've ever had before.

Ken