Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Decals/Bubbles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 04:35 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decals/Bubbles

You know these decals that come with some kits?? I've finished my Ultra Sport and want to use the decals that came with it. I've tried to use these things before and it looks bad because of all the bubbles..I may have dreamed it but somewhere I've heard that even tho the back of the decal is sticky and dry,to spray the surface of the plane with Windex and then put the decal on..Supposedly the Windex evaporates and leaves the decal without all the bubbles...Am I rite,or better yet how do yall do it and end up with no bubbles..Thanx..Walt
Old 03-08-2003, 04:48 AM
jcasey7703

Default Decals?

Hi Walt,

I've put dozens of decals on 1/48th scale plastic models with no bubbles. What I have always done is used a little soapy water and a cotton ball. The soapy water helps to let you position the decal where you want it, then by smoothing it out with the cotton absorbs the excess moisture and forces the bubbles out.

John
Old 03-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Decals/Bubbles

Use the windex or soapy water. Place the decal and then squeegee the water out with something like a credit card. Keep at it until the decal is nice and tight with no bubbles. Let them sit overnight before using them.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:52 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decals/Bubbles

I agree with above: use a few drops of liquid dishwashing detergent in about a quarter cup of water. For sqeegee, take some facial tissue and wrap it around the end of your credit card before using it.

Pilgrim
Old 03-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Decals/Bubbles

[i][/B]
Walt,
You received the best info.
I used to work with decals 20 feet long and 7 feet high LOL.
Plus we had to peal off the backing.
These giant things went on the over the road trailers with the Company logo on them.
We used a lot of soapy water.
Keep the surface clean and you'll have a super looking application
Old 03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
voegdmcm
My Feedback: (3)

Default Decals

Q-Ball,You might be careful when doing this, when you start to squeegee the decal it will have a tendency to slide around on you, especially small decals, just go easy with it. As you get most of the water out from under it, it will start to adhere more. Good luck. Dan
Old 03-09-2003, 11:51 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Default Decals/Bubbles

I just put the decal on dry. Most, if not all of the bubbles will disappear in a couple days. Faster if it can get some sun.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decals/Bubbles

The pros use soapy water or Windex . You can get the positionong perfect and squeegie out the bubbles. The decals stick great and ALL the bubbles are gone.

That's exactly how the graphics guys do it . We build concept cars ,Winston Cup pace cars etc. The graphics are usually vinyl and they look great.