Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tail wheel steering?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tail wheel steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Gstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail wheel steering?

I just flew my 4*40 and it’s my first tail dragger. I steers to the left quite a bit. I don’t think its engine thrust because upon landing it steers off the runway.
Should I adjust the tail wheel? Will that effect the steering a lot or should I look to the main gear?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:35 PM
rwright142

Default RE: Tail wheel steering?

With the engine powered off but transmitter and receiver turned on, roll it on the ground. Make sure the rudder is set for neutral. How does it roll? Straight?
Is the tailwheel aligned with the rudder? I mean if the rudder is straight is the tailwheel straight?
Do the main gear look straight? It was hard for me to judge this so I waited until they were on then did the roll test.
Also, check to see if your wheels spin without binding. If the left wheel collects dirt, for example, and is harder to turn then it will make the plane turn left.

Hope these help.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM
superflea

One of the more common problems seems to be with one of the main wheels dragging a bit. make sure they both roll freely. you should be able to give them a spin and they should continue to spin on their own for a moment or two. If one stops right away then fix it.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
RICMOD5634

I agree with the power off roll test and the wheel drag! I also like to have a small amount of toe in on the mains, This really helps on a plane like the Cub.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM
jetmech05

when you will trim the aircraft for straight and level flight. if it required rudder trim you have just built in a turn through the tail wheel.
the more trim the more of a turn. I wouldn't suggest changing trim but be aware.