Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RX crystal

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 AM
TwistedProp
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX crystal

Hey all, This might be a question that has been asked before, I`m sure, is a dual conv rx crystal interchangable with any dual conv reciever? Is a crystal an just a crystal, no pos or neg, just tuned to a freq? They sure look the same, except the size ( micro and standard ) Anyway thaks for any input........[8D]
Old 07-19-2007, 07:08 AM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RX crystal

Hi,
the rx crystals have no neg / pos but they are not interchangable. Futaba don't mix with the other systems indeed. Make sure the rx crystal you install in your receiver is suitable.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In general, receiver crystals are not interchangeable between brands. Crystal are built in several flavors, X cut, Y cut etc. and different oscillator designs require slightly different crystals. Some might use 3rd and some 5th order harmonics so, to be safe, always use crystals from the same brand although some brands might be interchangeable. The bad part is that they might appear to work but you will have short range or poor selectivity if miss matched.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Always ask yourself.....................Is my model worth more or less than the 10 dollars it will cost me to get the correct part (crystal or whatever)?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 PM
TwistedProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback...I wasn`t gonna try it.....just didn`t know their make-up ( y-x cut )...[8D]
Old 07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the UK Futaba rx crystals work fine in a variety of alternative receivers made by Jeti, Cirrus etc. They do not work in Hitec.

I THINK the technical reason is that the IF [ superhet ] frequency is different.