Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ailevator--what is it?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ailevator--what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailevator--what is it?

My 7c Futaba radio manual mentions Ailevators as a mix I can program in. What does this function move on an airplane and how can it be used beneficially in flight or 3-d?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Groundforce-RCU

Default RE: Ailevator--what is it?

It is used to control both ailerons and elevator on something such as a flying wing where there is not a separate elevator and aileron. I dont know the answer to your other question.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

No need for it on a 3d plane unless you're trying to hover or torque roll a Stryker.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The best example of the use of "ailevator" is the Avonds F-15. It is originally designed without any wing control surfaces and no rudders. The horizontal stabs function as both elevators and ailerons. The plane is surprisingly maneuverable with this type setup.

Sometimes this setup is also referred to as "tailerons" and also sometimes as "elevons".
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

another option is that the ailevator mix is used if you are using two seperate servos for the elevator.....

plug the servos into 2 seprate channels, turn on the ailevator mix, dial the aileron portion to 0 percent and set the elevator portion so your elevator halves travel together....
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
expo

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

another option is that the ailevator mix is used if you are using two seperate servos for the elevator.....

plug the servos into 2 seprate channels, turn on the ailevator mix, dial the aileron portion to 0 percent and set the elevator portion so your elevator halves travel together....
THAT"S the answer I was looking for. I'm going to give it a try.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:36 AM
tonywayne

Alleviators (ailerons and elevator mixed) is pretty much the same as another term, elevons (elevator and ailerons mixed) It is a mixing of control surfaces that can control movement around 2 axes 'pitch and roll' for most uses or depending on the configuration of the actual control surfaces. But generally in rc its just for pitch and roll. This is used in some models to simplify controls for example on a combat plane with no empennage (tale surfaces), to proved roll as well as pitch the control surfaces on the trailing edge of the wing would have to operate in sequence with each other to provide the correct roll and pitch input from the pilot. On other planes, for example ones with an empennage could also have this mixing function on the trialing edge of both the main wings and the horizontal stabs to simply provide more control response in the affected axes.