Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hitec Eclipse 7 channel radio.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hitec Eclipse 7 channel radio.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 channel radio.

I am looking to get me a new radio.. I was looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 Channel FM Transmitter/Spectra. From tower hobbies

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LG7027&P=1

From what I can see on this radio that it can be set to run any fm Rx and channel. I like that part..

Has any one ran this radio and what do you thing of it..

Paul
Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM
AviationNut

Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 channel radio.

I have two of these transmitters - one for helicopters and one for airplanes. They work great for me as I have planes/helis on different channels, so I can always fly something even if there is someone on one of my channels. I've had one for about 5 years and the Spectra module started to get flaky after a few years, but Hitec replaced it free of charge. I've had the other for about 2 years and haven't had a problem with it.

One thing I've done is to replace the stock battery pack with a NiMh pack with higher capacity. For some reason, the Spectra module takes a lot of power and the stock battery will only last about an hour or so. With an 1800mAh battery, it will go for 3+ hours which is good enough for a day or two of flying.

Also, as you mentioned, you can use this transmitter with positive or negative shift receivers, which is a nice bonus. So if you run across a good deal on an rx, you can pick it up no matter what shift it is.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

You can also buy an XPS module and receiver and fly on 2.4 Ghz.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the Hitec Eclipse w/Spectra for five years without a problem. The +/- shift feature has allowed me to fly JR as well as Futaba recievers. The Hitec only has a 7 model memory. It also won't do twin elevator servos. Nice radio for the price.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Matt14x

4*60

Please tell me about the XPS module? Where can I get one? Price?

Matt
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can buy a whole radio system with receiver and 4 servos for 50 dollars more than the module. I have no problems with my Eclipse on PCM. I haven't even had a glitch.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
BillyGoat

Paul it all depends on what type of modeler/flyer you are. Basically a regular sport flyer will be very happy with this system.

I would suggest doing a little searching on RCU to find the pros and cons of this radio. Here is a link that I and others responded to, eariler this year when another modeler asked the same question.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5356576
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 AM
KI8FR

The link that I put in.. Will that radio do pcm? Is there a difrance between qpcm and pcm?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 AM
4*60

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

I can buy a whole radio system with receiver and 4 servos for 50 dollars more than the module. I have no problems with my Eclipse on PCM. I haven't even had a glitch.

I had no glitches or problems either until someone turned on and admitted it. It scared me. Anyway if you are referring to a 2.4 radio for $50 more than a module I think you mean a module and a receiver AND I held that Fu...a radio and my opinion it was junk.
The link to XPS is http://www.xtremepowersystems.net .
I still fly with 2 Eclipse 7's, a few models on 72Mhz, but most now on 2.4Ghz and I still enjoy the ease of use and solid performance of the Hitecs on either band. I like value!

QPCM is the new Hitec PCM and the new Eclipse does regular FM PPM and QPCM (Selectable). The QPCM is not compatible with other makes PCM or Hitecs old PCM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Matt14x

4* 60

From the link you gave me; it appears that futaba and hitec modules are the same.
Is this true/

Almost like you, I've had two Optec 6 xmtrs since they been on the market. One for my foamies, and one for my nitro birds. The never failed . I like them because they are so easy to program.

Matt
Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 PM
KI8FR

I can not see were on the page if they have a module for the 7channel and how much it is.. Do they have one for this tx?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Hey Paul,

The tracking number on the Tx is showing up now,

Bill
Old 08-03-2007, 05:23 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi
I have the prism7 and the eclipse7<this one with spectra module> and love them both. this is excellent equipment and service if needed is very good and fast. all my recent purchases have been hitec, receivers, servos, etc.
think you will be very pleased with performance.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 08-04-2007, 02:55 AM
4*60

ORIGINAL: Matt14x

4* 60

From the link you gave me; it appears that futaba and hitec modules are the same.
Is this true/

Matt
Yes Futaba/Hitec
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Sorry guys for posting something that did not make sense. I was suffering from a brief bought of headumupumrectumidas...My brain intended to pm paul but during some office conversations here at work I posted a reply instead of hitting the pm icon. Please disregard.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 AM
KI8FR

It still worked out bill.. I got the not that it is there now..lol....

Thanks bill

Paul
Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Matt14x

Is anyone usining a Futaba 4.2ghz module in a Hitec Optec or Hitec Spectra on gas or nitro birds/

Matt
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
KI8FR

Will that futaba 2.4 work in the hitec radio?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 AM
4*60

Not sure that it will since I think it has a fixed antenna base oriented one way and Futaba and Hitec modules go in 180 degrees opposed. They work but are switched 180 degrees, which did not affect 72 since the antenna was elsewhere. Someone pointed this out to me. So it looks like the Futaba module on the Hitec would point toward the modeller not the model. ???
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 AM
KI8FR

WILDCRASHWILLY

I got the radio to. Thanks for all you did. It was very nice doing the deal with you. The radio is all you said it was.. It is very nice to do biz with some one that is state up onest and willing to help out with suport..

I was looking at the book on how to programe it.. I will be calling you with some quetions.. I got lost on page 1 lol

Paul
Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Thanks for the kind words Paul,

Call anytime, I'll be glad to walk you through it. It's really not difficult once you do it one or two times.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Don41

I operate the Eclipse, my brother a Futaba 7 channel. I have no complaints about the radio but I do prefer the way his Futaba displays the trim positions. It's a little awkward on my Eclipse (minor complaint).

I show low battery at around the 155 minute mark.

Regards
Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 AM
KI8FR

I just got mine from Bill got it used.. but so far it looks as if it is going to be a good radio.. the trims I do not like.. I like to be able to look at the radio and see were my trims are at.. but with this one you cant see were they are. but I have not got it programed and in a plane yet to see if I like it or not.. but so far that is all it looks like it is going to be..

Programeing the thing looked like it was going to be hard to do but as I look at the book it is getting ezer to do..

Thanks for all the input that you all gave me..

Let me know what you all think about the trims on the radio.
Paul
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
BillyGoat

Never had an issue with the trims. As you probably noticed, as soon as you move one of the trims the dispaly changes to show the precentage that the trim is from center. So I just give a trim lever a quick couple nudges to bring up the display.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Paul,

Touch any trim button and it will display the trim for about 3 to 4 seconds, however if you bump it once to display, you will have to bump it back once to return the trim to the setting before you touched it. This has nevar been an issue for me as once you get the trims set on a computer radio they normally hold the settings that were their at power down. I have two E-Clipse radios that I use all the time and have had good luck. My only complaint is once you select a model all you see is the number at the top of the screen. To see what name you have programmed you have to hit the down arrow once or twice. Not a big deal but an inconvenience I feel Hitec could have programmed out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.