Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is This AM Radio Ok to Use Still?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is This AM Radio Ok to Use Still?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 06:13 AM
paleodust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This AM Radio Ok to Use Still?

I have a Futaba Attack 4 AM radio (channel 52). It's been on my shelf since 1994. I dug it out and noted that the batteries were dead. So I went to the LHS and asked for some new ni-cads. The guys at the shop said that AM radios are now illegal to fly and that I should throw it away. He said it could start a fight at the flying field if I were to use it. I haven't seen any regulations about this. Am I missing something? Please let me know if I can still use this radio. I'd hate to just throw it away if it's still ok...

Thanks for any information regarding the matter...
Old 03-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

If it has a gold sticker on the back and the batteries are good, then use it.

While it's true using it may start a fight, it's not because it's illegal. Sometimes fights start over ARFs or planes that are red when they are supposed to be green.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:01 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default am radios

if this is the advice you get from the LHS i would find a different one real fast.am radios are legalas long as they meet the narrow band requirements.most all transmitters will meet this even my old 1975 kraft transmitter.it is the recievers that have a problem meeting this guide line and fm was easier to do than am and that is why am is not seen much any more.narrow band futaba reciers on am that are legal r-114 or r-117 as long as your reciever is one of these or arcd aftermarket you should be ok.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:12 PM
paleodust

I could have sworn it had a gold sticker on it but the sticker that I thought was gold now is silver. Could it be that the gold has faded over the years?

The batteries are completely dead so I'd have to replace them but I need to know if it's worth replacing them first...
Old 03-14-2003, 08:38 PM
scalebldr

Default gold stickers

a gold sticker should say on the left corner rf check then a long line with a dare written on it.these were put on radios made on ore before 1991 to prove they are 1991 acceptable.after 1991 all radios sold had to meet this or they could not be sold so it was dropped but there is a silver fcc id sticker on the back stating model number and some other items check the transmitter model number out at the futaba site,i would worry more about the rciever what monel number is it r-4f not narrow band 0r r-114f narrow band and ok to use.if you have the r-114f reciever from futaba and bought both together chances are good the transmitter is gold standard.if i remember right the attack radios replaced the conquest line that was not gold stickered at the time,i believe the attack line was 1991 ready when introduced.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:14 AM
kewlRider

Wow, if these old Attack radios are illegal I'm in trouble as I have six of them I use all the time for planes, boats and cars. My two Attack 4's do have a big red sticker that says for aircraft use only, illegal for boats and cars. I have no idea why it says that.

They are great radios and I've never had a complaint anywhere I"ve flown my planes. they are both on 72 AM.

I have a couple of two channel Attacks that are on AM 75. I posted a question on how one of these Attacks does not have the servo reversing function on the throttle which is really irritating, and I'd like to reverse it if anyone has any ideas.

These radios are really sweet in my book. You can get em cheap and they work just wonderful. I also have a couple of JR racing radios that are really nice with lots of bells and whistles...but..I don't hardly use em!!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:32 AM
BingoFlyer

The gold stickers on two of my radios have turned silver with age or ware and the printing is gone also. If your sticker is approx. 3/8"X1 1/4" parallelogram it is narrow band and legal, find another LHS.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:46 AM
paleodust

Thanks, guys. It sounds like I'm ok using it. The sticker must have just turned silver with age. It looks like this:

I found all the info needed here... http://www.futabarc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q41
Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 AM
paleodust

I asked a guy I fly with about it and he told me that the AMA doesn't allow you to fly with AM radios on their fields. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Grampaw

We have several 4 Ch. Attack AM radios in use at our club field, and we're an AMA Chartered club. I often use a Futuba Attack myself, and occasionally an Ace Single Stick 5 Ch. AM radio. We haven't any problems so far. I understand that AMs are not allowed at "AMA Santioned" events, otherwise they are legal elsewhere. You may wish to feel out your flying buddies, or if a club, the other members for their views an this subject. Best to test the water before stirring it up.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:06 PM
scalebldr

Default Re: gold stickers

Originally posted by scalebldr
i believe the attack line was 1991 ready when introduced.
never said there was a problem with the attack series.i do know that the weak spot of the conquest line was the transmitter on/off switch being intermittent.never had a problem but when i heard this from a repair person i sold all my conguest sets even even though they were gold sticked and fm.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:17 PM
scalebldr

check the ama ste for their specific rules on radios and see what the cup rules say in print,i have found that heresay is far from what is written as some take the word of others and never really check out what ie reallity.that is how myth's are started.i remember back about 1980 when ducted fans first came out that
1. you burned a glowplug every flight
2,you had to use 25% or more nitro
3. could not take off from grass field
4>flame out would cause plane to fly like a brick
I was the first in our club at the time to try ducted fans with a midwest jetster and a k&b 3.5.proved all the above false that 4.25 pound plane took off our grass field,using standard 10% nitro fuel and glowplug lasted all flying season,and when i did land deadstick when puposely running tank dry at end of day the plane was a floater.